Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: EPS & PS files

Default EPS & PS files

Although the release notes for 3.2 list improvements for several import file types, EPS & PS files don't seem to be among them.

These files generally present the most problems for me, and it would be really nice to see updates and improvements in this area.

Regards,
    Sam

Default Re: EPS & PS files

Welcome Indigo_Wolf

I think the answer is that ps and eps files are old hat. They have been superceeded by ai and now pdf files. Even when you save a file as ai from illustrator in it's latest form it's really a pdf. Of course they all have their feet in ps but I doubt Xara are going to spend hours updating an old file system.

Isn't there a way you can convert them to pdf?

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

It's one thing if you're creating the eps files from software you own. It's another if you inherit them, or you purchase vector images from a stock or clipart company. Eps is a frequent format in those cases. Sometimes it's the only format provided.

I have a variety of pdf tools, but I don't have anything that will convert eps to pdf without opening the eps first.

Being old hat doesn't mean it's not needed.

It also depends on what program created the EPS files. CorelDRAW can open PS and EPS files with its Import Postscript Interpreted filter. And many EPS files were created in various versions of Illustrator.

How many files do you have? If its not too many, one of the users might be able to convert them to Xara files.

Except for the most part, with EPS files that have gradient fills, the fill is not a continuous point A to point B fill but a series of up to 256 shapes which can be a real bother to edit.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    It's one thing if you're creating the eps files from software you own. It's another if you inherit them, or you purchase vector images from a stock or clipart company. Eps is a frequent format in those cases. Sometimes it's the only format provided.
    Yuppers... this is exactly why the request was made. Vector clipart very commonly comes in PS or EPS format (especially those from DTP catalogs). As a general rule, Xara chokes on them. Usually without even a badly rendered import.

In most cases, what I end up having to do is import them into Adobe Illustrator on someone else's machine, and then export them in a format that Xara likes. AI never seems to have any problems with any of them. If the machine, is in use, I have even resorted to importing the files in Flash Professional. However, it would be much nicer to do it without the intervening step.

EPS/PS may be considered "old hat", but that also means that there is an incredibly large repository of vector clipart out there. Would hate to see them excluded from the party table.

This has been bothering me now for about 3 or 4 releases, just was hoping it would get picked up somewhere along the way.

Regards,
    Sam

Yes, I recently had my nose rubbed into the EPS format. Apparently there are some places that only accept EPS submissions (or TIFF). Why they don't like PDF or newer formats I don't know. I never hear of anyone using EPS, so I assumed it was irrelevant and hence why I was completely ignorant of what it is.