Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Something for USA Independence Day

The point is Remi, it was a candy cane design and the colors red, white and I think blue in the design.

Your comments rationalizing a perfectly innocent design to celebrate Independence Day in the U.S. as a overblown assertion of a dangerous National Pride is irrational and not needed.
    IP

Please consider the following:

Mothers have pride in their children. They also do not like to see their children harmed.

If the mothers of the world could establish a dialog I think they would help to prevent any terrorism in a more peaceful manner than any politician or diplomat.

I believe this sentiment is similar to what Remi was pointing out in his original post in this thread.

Remi has a very good grasp of English, but English is a very difficult language for native speakers to convey thoughts.

Peace to all.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Bill - thanks for the small still voice of calm

if there was more humanity and less posturing we would all be better off

peace
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I have removed my offensive graphics from this tread and I am sad to say I will no longer be sharing any of my graphics on this forum. I have enjoyed my time at this forum up till now. I would have removed all my graphics from all my treads but I can't seem to edit them now. I never meant to spark a political argument, there are lots of places for that on the web, this was suppose to be about graphics, that's what I was sharing.
    Aunt Betsy
    IP

I'm sorry to hear that, Aunt Betsy. As I said earlier, it was not my intention to make you feel unwelcome.

Remi
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that, Aunt Betsy.

Remi
    Me too.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I removed my even more offensive U.S. national anthem video from the forums. I would not want us jackbooted American thugs to affect the sensibilities of Europeans.
    IP

Since to answer Remi in all that I could say would only serve to get me banned, it has already driven a fine member away. I have dedided to make this statement.

As it is there is a much larger forum sponsored by Corel, coreldraw.com in which to participate. I will not lose my friend Betsy.

Let's have a poll of what is good for the members of the CorelDRAW forum, having me here who gives hours a week to helping solve members problems, or Remi. I am so disgusted with this whole chain of events, I don't blame Betsy for not wanting any more of this. Betsy was only meaning to be helpful and to be doing something she believes to be a benefit to other people.

Xara has an interest in providing a place users of even competitive software so that as they see the kind of helpfulness and goodwill among the members that they'd purchase Xara products. Best support on the internet. And it has been working. Such as when you know the truth and that what you have to offer is superior, they lose nothing in an open forum and discussing, their software will benefit them ultimately by any comparison. They are trying to encorporate positive changes for their customers and I for one, even though I am moderator here of this forum appreciate that. No matter what software I use, it all have benefited me in knowing what tools are best suited to what I have to accomplish. Working in Xara has improved my work in other regards in DRAW as well.

The problem is that human beings are still human beings here too.

And people will continue to celebrate Christmas or the Fourth of July even here, won't they? They will wish each other not "Happy Holidays" but "Merry Christmas". There have been some who would make an ugly scene over phrases that should cause no offense to anyone. That it is and has is happened before and in the future is wrong, but it will inevitably happen again. Even those who like a secular Christmas time enjoy the holidays for the cookies, the decorating and the music can find they also like "Silent Night" as much as "Jingle Bells". We sing the Australian national anthem because it is a fun little ditty though it makes little sense to us and for what it says what is offensive anyway? And the words of a Christmas Carol are equally unoffensive if you look at it that way. Americans tolerate Cinco do Mayo, Mexican Independence day is celebrated here with more hoopla than in Mexico, every third restaurant here is a Mexican one and it is my favorite kind of food as well. We all wear green of St. Patricks day and even the non-Irish have Corn Beef and Cabbage on that day. Americans celebrate everything. And after seeing "V is for Vindetta" I now can embrace the 5th of November, tongue in cheek. Britain has been our greatest friend, despite having fought two wars with on another, who thinks of that any longer on either side of the Atlantic? It is more than a language we share. Americans look at the Magna Carter as though they themselves thought it up. We love to listen to the British, finallly someone who hasn't destroyed the language. And we are in awe.

Xara has a large market for Xara products in the U.S. Is it the purpose and intent of this forum to tell Americans that "We don't want your business?" Last time I looked the British flag is comprised of the same colors as my homeland's. The EU flag has stars on it, are stars now offensive too? Although I am an American, I love the British people, feels like a second home, warm and charming, extremely loving and hospitable. Both the British people and my own treasure freedom and democracy. This post includes stripes in common with the flag of Great Britain and stars shared by the EU as well.

Not one individual on this forum is personally responsible for the events of 911 or what our countries have done in the interim. This is not a political forum, but an art forum.

Dialogues between women of different cultures isn't going to change what is the matter with the world and could even serve to get more women abused or even put their lives in jeopardy. Women still struggle to be taken seriously even in the West. It is still a man's world. But that doesn't even matter, we are all along for the ride, are we not? I cannot undo the events of 911, but I can live my life in such a way at to help my fellow human beings on this planet. To help people in their struggle to do a better job and to hang on to their job in the midst of tremendous technological change around us, is my niche so to speak and I have not had many complaints as to the quality to which I endeavor to give the correct answer fully to the best of my ability.

It doesn't matter if I do not know the answer, if I know someone who does, I send them elsewhere. I think I would want to know and people come back again and again because I do try to find out for them. In the interim, have found out much that has helped me too. It is not all altruistic, I've gotten a lot out of it too. But I have given much back as well.

If you all don't want me here, I'm a big girl, I've already been offered a blog at the new forum and have been asked to submit a show for their gallery. I will continue to help people whether it is here or somewhere else. If it isn't here, you can find me at coreldraw.com. Mystery woman is sallybode there too.

Freedom means the right to disagree with civility.

BTW, Remi, I am 1/4 German, my mother spoke it, she did not teach me, the other half is Norwegian followed by Scotch-Irish-English-French. So I come by the blonde hair genetically. I do speak a bit of French and am fairly fluent in American Sign Language.

I've argued against slavery and been banned on forums because of that, won't be the first time I get banned. But I do know I am alive. How about you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PatrioticCircle.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	39595  
    Last edited by sallybode; 06 July 2007 at 11:17 PM.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

First, let me inform you, that I'm in a dialogue with Sally via PM's (private messages).

Second, I would like to answer James: My comment was not caused by the candy design. I have nothing against such "innocent designs" (your words) about national holidays and therefore it's also not necessary to remove your video. The cause for my post were the comments #8 and #9, because they let me think about the paradox of patriotism: "Soldiers of both sides in a war may feel equally patriotic, creating an ethical paradox. (If patriotism is a virtue, then the enemy is virtuous, so why try to kill them?)" (source: Wikipedia article about Patriotism). I thought about this paradox in a global context together with the lessons learned in the history.

I should myself have held by the fact that we talk here about graphics and not about politics.

Peace to all
    Remi
    IP

Lies.

I guess the comments about George Bush were candy related as well?

Just be honest remi, you dislike everything about America because of whatever bloated reasons that may be floating around in your head.

We hear all the comments you Europeans you make about Americans in the news. How soon they forget!

I guess we should have let France, Germany and Russia supplying illegal weapon parts to Iraq and continue to squeeze blackmarket oil in direct violation of U.N. sanctions?

Yeah, it's okay for Europeans to do it...I see.
    Last edited by jamesmc; 08 July 2007 at 02:05 AM.
    IP