Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Editable shapes

Default Editable shapes

Why are some objects not able to be turned into editable shapes?

I'm NOT talking about text. I'm talking about rectangles with several textures added and then combined into one shape.

I can get a simple object to be manipulated, a bit map to be manipulated, but not this friggin rectangle! Sorry, a bit of an out burst.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Jen

Default Re: Editable shapes

Not knowing what object you are trying to manipulate, I'll take a swag.

You want to make sure objects are "ungrouped" before they can be edited by the shape editor.

This is especially important if you have bitmaps as they can't be shaped with the shape editor tool.

If you combine shapes or join shapes, it takes on the last attribute of the bitmap applied, sometimes not always with a desired result because the joining will interpret only the vector line as vector and the bitmap as non vector, then you get an empty "box" with just the color of the last bitmap applied.

Sometimes it's easier to use clipview to make a clipping path to apply a bitmap texture in on an object that to fool around trying to figure out what it's going to do with the bitmap actually applied to the object.

By clipping path I mean a shape that is above the original object.

See example here for what I mean by clipping path. http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...20&postcount=7

The thing to remember is bitmaps applied to vector alter the nature of the object if it is grouped. Even ungrouped one may get undesirable results.

Depends really on what you are trying to make.

i think bevels/contours and some live effects are effected by this if this feeble ole mind serves me correctly.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Jen,

Could you post the xar file your having trouble with?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfun View Post
    Why are some objects not able to be turned into editable shapes?
    I'm NOT talking about text. I'm talking about rectangles with several textures added and then combined into one shape.
    Jen
    Even text can be turned into editable shapes. In fact if I'm not mistaken, all vector shapes can be edited.
    As James mentioned, you have to ensure that they are ungrouped first (or sometimes free of effects).