Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Help Needed with Effect on Image

Hi all,

New to the forum.

I have seen an effect on an image that i would like on my website banner image on my site but finding it very hard to do. I have a normal digial image photo that i want to have looking like this below

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...357/Image3.jpg

I wont be using the same coulour but just need to know how to get the faded image effect with the coulour over the orginal image.

Many THnaks
    IP

Default Re: Help Needed with Effect on Image

Usually duplicating the layer will do what you want. You can then change the fill. Once you get it in layers, then change the transparency of the layer, so the background layer will show through.
    IP

your example looks very dark on my LCD monitor
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Once i have 2 of the same images in a file Layer 1 and Layer 2 what do i need to do then

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmc View Post
    Usually duplicating the layer will do what you want. You can then change the fill. Once you get it in layers, then change the transparency of the layer, so the background layer will show through.
    IP

You don't need to duplicate the layer.

Either hit Shift + L (this will open the Colorize command) and set the hue value to the color you want (in this case, purple) and set a high saturation;
    Or add a new layer, fill it with the color you want and change the layer blend mode colorize or multiply (or any other mode that you experiment with and think that works well).
    IP

Hi all,

Sorry about the above image not being to good, Here is a link to a site with that banner on that we like the effect. www.manoir.com I see that the banner used on this site shows like a grayed out photo in the background with the coulour overlay onstop to match the site.

I am trying to create the same sort of effect on my own website banner using the test image below as i dont have any updated images yet.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...7/P1010079.jpg

I am trying to get the overlay coulour to be like this http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...357/Image1.jpg

Many Thanks
    Chris Branston
    IP

First thing I'd say is it may be better not to use a color photograph - but make a greyscale copy first.

Then you need to fill a raster layer above the photo with your color, and set the transparency of this layer - start around 50%.

Then you may need to adjust the photograph levels depending how dark/light you want the shadow areas

It will be trial and error until you get the exact effect you need, experimenting with settings of the color, its transparency, and the photograph levels.

I'm assuming you are doing this with paint shop pro, as you posted in this forum. The menu commands in the example given below are specific to PSP9, which is the version I have:

1. open photograph and make a duplicate to work on. Close original
    2. make the image greyscale [menu: image/greyscale ]
    3. reset the image to 16 milion colors [menu: image/increase color depth/16 million ] - this so you can work in color on the 2nd layer
    4. make the new raster layer and fill with color; set layer transparency to 50%

you can now make adjustments
    to the photograph layer - menu: adjust/brightness and contrast/levels
    to the color layer by varying the color and its transparency.

the attached detail was done using the color you posted, at 50% transparency, with the photograph level adjusted as shown.

Hope this makes sense and helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detail-set.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	39548  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

There's another detail about the site's banner: it fades from a solid color into to a photo. If you want the exact same effect, there's one more step that you should take.
    This tutorial will show you just how to do it: http://teom.coningham.net/psp-x/fade...to-solid-color
    IP

Attached is the result of a grayscale photo (I simply hit Shift + L, which is Colorize, and set the saturation to 0), a semi-transparent gradient (take a look at the above tutorial on how to do it) and a filled layer with the color you showed using the multiply blend mode.
    The .zip file contains the .psp version of the image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colored photo.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	39551  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP