Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Corel Designer

Default Corel Designer

I have often wondered what the difference is between Corel draw and Corel Designer.
    There's not a lot on the Corel webs site about designer. It looks as though its what I'd expect Corel Draw ought to be. I'm interested in its ability to handle dwg's or dxf's.
    How well does it import dwg's, dxf's? That is can one import or open a dwg or dxf and then import another dwg based on same coordinate system and have the new data sit correctly within the new drawing?
    Is there a manual one can download to read more about it?
    any comments appreciated.
    regards, Richard
    IP

Default Re: Corel Designer

Sorry, have never used Corel Designer, but the oberonplace.com forum supports Corel Designer so they might be able to help you there. Additionally, you might find information at unleash.com. There is a ton of information on that site and a search engine so you should be able to find what you need if it is there. They also have a forum, Foster Coburn has written books about DRAW, he may be good to ask as well.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Thanks, Ill dig deeper.
    regards
    IP

Hello Richard,

Quote Originally Posted by Richard S View Post
    I have often wondered what the difference is between Corel draw and Corel Designer.
    I would recommend you have a look at this thread on CorelDRAW.com: http://coreldraw.com/forums/t/650.aspx

Gérard
    IP

Thanks Gerard, very useful links here.
    Makes one wonder why they just dont merge both Draw & Designer and make a 'super technical drawing/ drawing' program.
    regards, Richard

Oops - not sure how this happened - 2 entries same.
    Last edited by Richard S; 30 June 2007 at 10:57 PM.
    IP

Thanks Gerard, very useful links here.
    Makes one wonder why they just dont merge both Draw & Designer and make a 'super technical drawing/ drawing' program.
    regards, Richard
    IP

There are many people who wouldn't use DRAW except it is so much more affordable than Adobe Illustrator. Not to mention that there are many incredibly useful functions of DRAW that there is no counterpart in DRAW so you get great value for the money.

So the customer base of DRAW wants and is getting great value for their dollar anyway. Merging with DESIGNER would create a less marketable product for Corel as the price would be highter. It would however make DESIGNER more affordable. It would make learning DRAW more complex as DESIGNER supports 3D Technical Illustration/CAD type imports, renderings and manipulations. Whereas it is much more affordable than other programs of its type, Corel has targeted DRAW primarily to the print industry. Those programs such as IsoCalc, which add on features needed by technical illustrators, may be seen by Corel as filling the gap of the interrum user. Since CorelDRAW's output as of now is aimed mostly at the print industry, and they are being used more by print shops now than ever before, keeping the cost down insures their share of the market.

As it is DESIGNER suite encorporates 12 from what I understand with the tools described about so if you already have DRAW, you can upgrade for about $300. Considering the cost other options, it is affordable at that in comparison as it offers more.

In the ideal world, all of this would be free, I know. But that would mean out of business.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

yes, s'pose hadn't looked beyond the immediate horizon.
    was looking at purely from a technical view as opposed to a drawing package as Corel is.
    regards, Richard
    IP

I think they are trying to market DRAW to people who are not CAD students. Though if you know CAD, there are numberous ways to use DRAW to get your work much more accurate if you want it to be. People already complain that DRAW is a bloated program. They come in from say PaintShoPro, and aren't able to get anything in short order they can be proud of, so they think it is lame. In order to use DRAW to full advantage, requires doing lots of tutorials and reading some books, participating in forums. But the outcome is amazing.

There are schools all over the place you can learn Adobe Illustrator, and if you learn that doesn't mean that picking up DRAW is automatic. I started out with Adobe Illustrator and it really took me a while to appreciate CorelDRAW as I do now.

Some of the add-ons to DRAW are anything but cheap. The one for professional embroidery, not for the hobbiest, but it is used professionally and the price tag reflects that. CoCut is another add-on for the sign industry and whereas there are others, it is the one I am most familiar with. So a person could invest in DRAW or add-ons for DRAW what others have invested in the Adobe Creative Suite however, we are talking much more functionality for business. There are many others. You can find all other such products with trials for nearly each one at unleash.com

I have a son in college and so we can get academic software, then also my husband works for a school district, could probably qualify that way. Student software is in most cases, full version software without the big price tag on Corel's product line.

Oh, I changed my avatar. I took this photo recently. Wearing bangs now.

Sally M. Bode
    IP