Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default quick beginners question...

I just started working with PainterX and I had some questions. When ever I try to draw starting with a blank page, it always looks really bad and I end up starting a new document withing ten minutes. The only way I can get something going, is by getting some reference images and using a certain cloner brush and brushing different pictures into one by using the clone brush. Then I go and apply weird effects to these images and give them my style. Now my question is, I am trying to get stuff for my portfolio, I'll be graduating in like a year and want to get started on portfolio early. Now to my question, should I feel bad posting stuff like that? Since i am taking stuff from different pictures? Please help me on this, i just feel bad for some odd reason lol

P.S. I am not a traditional artist by any means, more digital...

Thanks in advance for the help!
    IP

Default Re: quick beginners question...

If I were the one to look at your portfolio and saw you did Clone painting I'd wonder what your actual art skills are. It's very easy to see when something is based on a photo, or a photo was cloned, or a photo was smudge-painted (painting on the actual photo or a copy of the photo).

Also, if the reference images aren't your own (you are not the copyright holder), that would be a pretty important factor too. You could easily be infringing someone's copyrights and be open to legal action.

It's one thing to take your own photos, then use them as a basis for painting, even with some Clone painting involved to bring back small details, for instance.

It's a whole different story if the reference photos are not your own and you just copy them by using a Cloners brush variant or another brush variant set to Clone Color.

You'll need to show your skills and your ability to create.

You don't have to be a traditional artist to work with digital media, though when using Corel Painter it helps. Painter's designed to simulate traditional media so the more we understand about traditional media and techniques, the better we can make use of Painter's brushes, Papers, and other capabilities.

Your instincts are worth paying attention to. If it feels bad, don't do it.

I'd suggest you fill your portfolio with what you know best how to do, things you can do without using other people's work except for reference.

By reference, I mean something you refer to (look at) to see how, for instance lighting and shadows work in a certain situation, or to see how fabric folds and drapes when in a certain situation. I don't mean to copy but to use as reference for learning. Then paint your own creation using that knowledge.

You'll continue learning and you'll be able to add to your portfolio over time... and feel good about it.

Remember, every artist started at the beginning and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. It just means there's a lot to learn and...

Learning is a wonderful adventure!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Jinny Brown; 02 July 2007 at 03:30 AM.
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Wow, excellent post by Jinny. Print and frame that post, FarshadRoknipou!

The only thing I disagree on (to some *little* extent) is the clone painting (if done with a little bit of effort and some artistic sensibility). Cloning a photo (or a composite there of) - and cloning that clone - and cloning it again - again - and again, might create something that could fool () some - or if you are good at it - more than a few.

However, going back to Jinny's post - in the end - it's what you can create/invent/realize that will make a difference for you. A portfolio is pointless if you can't deliver what's there... It will take a sub-par art director three nano-seconds to realize your short commings in a real-life work situation if you fake it all.

Risto
    IP

Hi Farshad:
    Welcome to the forums!
    As a graphic designer who's used a number of other programs, other than Painter, I second what Jinny said. The downside to using someone else's work as a basis for a portfolio, in addition to legal issues, is having your work recognized as being part of another designer/artist's work. That can damage you reputation, particularly in this era of the Internet; the world and graphics community has gotten smaller.
    Do I also detect a strong note of self-criticism in your judgment of your own work? I am my own worst and least objective critic. I've gotten better through practice and letting other people see my work and listening to their comments, good and not-so-good. Step away from the word "bad". It's too emotionally charged for most of us. Try using terms like "working" and "not working", keeping in mind you are talking only about your own views of your work. I find all of the above elements, adding up to experience, lets me be more honest in my appraisals of my work. There are tutorials on-line to teach you the tools and how to use them more effectively. Just do a search under "PainterX tutorials". I also note that Jinny's post has a link to her PixelAlley pages which has a link to tutorials for Painter.
    It's a process of learning, practice and building skills, even long after you have left school.
    I wish you the best of luck,
    it can be a lot of fun!
    Scott
    "I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, "This is what I believe. Finished." What I believe is alive... and open to growth."
    Madeleine L'Engle
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Risto Klint View Post
    Wow, excellent post by Jinny. Print and frame that post, FarshadRoknipou!

The only thing I disagree on (to some *little* extent) is the clone painting (if done with a little bit of effort and some artistic sensibility). Cloning a photo (or a composite there of) - and cloning that clone - and cloning it again - again - and again, might create something that could fool () some - or if you are good at it - more than a few.
    And I agree with this. Clone painting can be used in combination with other techniques to produce some great work. In fact, it can be an asset to know how as we all know the old saying, "time is money" and any tricks (legitimate) that can be used to get the job done well, and on time, help a lot. That is, providing those tricks are acceptable to your employer and everything used is with prior written permission from the copyright holder.

Straight Clone painting in a portfolio, as I said earlier, will leave the prospective employer wondering (if they take time to think about it all) what your actual skills are.

I don't agree (and maybe you didn't mean it this way, Risto) that fooling anyone is a good idea. Art may "fool" the eye successfully and in a perfectly legitimate way. The person who "fools" is the fool. Honesty is always the best way to go and you certainly don't want to try and fool a prospective employer, Farshad. As Risto said, the employer/art director/supervisor, by whatever title, will be quick to see you've attempted to fool him/her and you'll go down several notches in their view of you as a prospective employee.

Don't forget, too, that when you're interviewed, the interviewer has read, and will read loads of resumes and has and will probably interview many people applying for the job. They won't have time to fiddle around with someone who doesn't make a good impression.

However, going back to Jinny's post - in the end - it's what you can create/invent/realize that will make a difference for you. A portfolio is pointless if you can't deliver what's there... It will take a sub-par art director three nano-seconds to realize your short commings in a real-life work situation if you fake it all.

Risto
    Right!
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Jinny Brown View Post
    You'll need to show your skills and your ability to create.

I agree. Your work should showcase your abilities not someone else's. Show your talent and it will mean so much more, especially to yourself.
    IP

I appreciate all the help and replies! I am just confused because I get the Advanced Photoshop and Corel Painter magazines and a lot of their tutorials or examples is like taking a normal photo of lets say Paris Hilton (God i hate her!) holding a candle and they go into Painter or Photoshop and make the candle cast colorful rainbow lights. With different effects coming from the candles light....Thats why I was confused....They also show like a artist taking 3 or 4 photos and cutting and pasting different parts of each photo to make something weird...Like Yoda fishing with Saruman etc...lol

Any suggestions....I think I found my new forum, very helpful mates here!
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by FarshadRoknipou View Post
    ...is like taking a normal photo of lets say Paris Hilton (God i hate her!) holding a candle and they go into Painter or Photoshop and make the candle cast colorful rainbow lights. With different effects coming from the candles light...
    I have never seen the mentioned magazines, but I would imagine that they are showing techniques --- "possibilites" / "ideas" --- for you as an artist to explore further? Simply copying articles and putting it in your portfolio is not going to accomplish much...

What Jinny said below (and as quoted by DAL) --- "You'll need to show your skills and your ability to create."

FarshadRoknipou, you asked for suggestions... Not sure what you are looking for? Do what you do best? Learn from the ones that do IT better than you --- and put your own flavour on it?

Risto
    IP