Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Apple Mac - what's that?

Voters
359. This poll is closed
  • I only use a PC and I'm happy

135 37.60%
  • I only use a PC but wish I could use a Mac as well

38 10.58%
  • I only use a PC but wish I could use a Mac instead

28 7.80%
  • I sometimes use a Mac as well

26 7.24%
  • I often use a Mac as well

132 36.77%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Apple Mac - what's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Never bought a pair if Nike trainers either.
    Clearly someone who doesn't feel the need to tick any boxes.. ;-)
    IP

Life is a banquet, a smorgaasbord. You have what you have and you decide if you like it or not.

We needed another PC in this case we got a MAC.

I am not telling anyone they have to do the same, what they should do or think. This was a choice we made. That is all.

My point is for a long time many MAC users have wanted Xara. If they want to invest in Parallels and in a Windows OS to run it, they can have it. Between the Windows OS, Parallels, and the cost of Xara, they are probably getting equal to what Illustrator costs. In which case, Xara developers may feel why put more money in porting to MAC. The only reason is in the end to be taken more seriously, in which case, what is the reason for the "Professional tools" and "Illustrator Compatiblity"? Is that they feel that is their market, offering this to Illustrator users. Usually, a serious Illustrator user is doing so on a MAC and are often such a gungho MAC user, to run Parallels and Windows to run Xara will meet with: "Are our kidding?" So then again Xara may continue to work on porting to MAC. Because if their studies show that that is where the potential customer base is, it would make sense. Either that or you continue to appeal to users of PaintShopPro to switch to Xara because it isn't that much more money even now. Your appeal is to CorelDRAW users so they can do post processing of their work. If they are giving us Pantone Colors then why if you are appealing to PSP users? CorelDRAW is predominantly a PC phenomenon as their last port to MAC was version 11. If people buy MAC for better quality, it is clear that Xara produced gorgeous graphics. The only thing lacking is a bit more polish on using Spot Color. If MAC costs more and the Adobe Creative Suite is by no means cheap, yes, if they are going to buy something which combines all that and good quality for a good price, yes it will sell.

In the "which OS do I use" debate, one should consider that there are things each does unique to them. It is all in what way you care to work. Having dabbled around at several different programs that you have no PC equivalent in art programs, yes, I can certainly see why Xara is something tempting the MAC user could want to have, that is to have Xara even if it cost them something to do it. Yes, it would be worth it. The person who is the MAC user is buying quality. The person who is buying a Lexus or a Volvo vs a 20 year old VW bug is buying quality. If your object is in the end to get the quality you are after, then you stop buying what you don't want. And live with that choice too.

Whether you are on one platform or another, it isn't going to give you great ideas. You either have them or you don't.

If you want to do movies. MAC has a definite advantage there. You can invest in hardware up the wazoo, at least if you are running Linux, it isn't all bloat, quite efficient actually and your equipment will last longer, again not as many programs to Linux users are usually doing the multi OS thing. The main difference in the end is Windows can run Linux, so can MAC, Windows can run Windows, so can MAC, Linux when running on a PC can almost get that to run MAC, but there isn't enough power left unless you have RAM adapters to increase your RAM high enough. If you are going to run mulitple OS, the base OS needs to be the most stable, not the most unstable OS available. It is like a skyscraper, you can build higher if your foundation is good and stable. MAC has its own system and seeing as its market share is so small, what the hell does it matter? Or does it just hurt that perhaps someone took a chance and got what you may have secretly longed for? Don't we all want to have it all at times? Isn't that the classic trouble with human beings? The minute they get that new toy, there is a newer model of it, and then there is this gadget and that car. One cannot budget for all of it. So you make choices. Someone doesn't have the latest and greatest anymore, and it is all sour grapes. I am enjoying my grapes, they are quite sweet from where I sit. But then I am supposed to be miserable? Really I am not. My husband bought himself a TV which is $3600 before tax. Give me a break. I told him at least what I use a computer for, I earn the money back. It's just called being fair around here. Whether MAC which is both hardware and software is a monopoly, the government really does not enforce the Anti-Trust Act, the schools tell you about it, just not the decision to no longer enforce it. Other things are more to worry about such as a private company is the Federal Reserve which controls our money, creating a debt based economy. It is the reason so many Americans can no longer afford to own a home. Now that is something I'd care more about rather than if MAC owns the patent on writing an OS only for equipment it builds and manufactures. Besides, in the age when the jobs of the U.S. citizen is outsourced to India and China, MAC is a major employer of Americans. Americans who work have enough money to spend on printing. That keeps me working doesn't it? Where are your PC parts manufactured? People complain about Walmart, but look at where that hard earned cash is going! Right out of the country.

As far as people liking glitz and something sleek, sexy and less clunky, if people didn't like all the glitz.... but it is what sells. And in the end, what I spent on my MAC was comparable to what I could have spent on a custom PC, my son built a gaming machine, and it isn't exactly nickles and dimes let me tell you. You can throw in more RAM and hard drives as many as you want, don't have to start over. That is the real point. Several years down the line, the PC cannot be resold. But you can donate it to your local school district which I do suggest you do. It shouldn't ever go in a land fill.

I also own a Canon Rebetl XT 8.3 megapixel camera, and I have now the power to print edge to edge posters of my work with my i9900 Canon wide berth printer, up to 13" x 19". I suppose someone will tell me that the printer they bought at Thrifty Drug Store does good quality, that their little camera they used in Girl Scouts still takes good pictures. Of course it does, but if you want to do more you get the equipment to do what you are wanting to do. I can take portraits of my family, print them out and do wall portraits, which otherwise are extrememly expensive from a professional studio. So I am dumb, or is it crazy like a fox? Just one of those portrait sessions can cost more than what I spent on my equipment. I can print to my hearts content now. I can manipulate my photos in ways I couldn't do before. I can do what is in my head. That is why I bought what I did.

What you do with your money is in the end your choice. But life is about making wiser choices. Even if that costs a little more from time to time. In the end, my choice allows me to do it all myself which costs me less in many other ways.

BTW, Egg, you egged on a lot of good conversation. So thanks.
    Last edited by sallybode; 08 July 2007 at 11:00 PM.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

It is interesting the Apple vs PC debate. It often reminds me of the McGee's and the McCays and their generational feud on where their property line is. Well sort of..... When I told my Brother I bought an Apple, he is a web designer, he said, "I hate Macs!" Well I did to until I bought one.

I have owned 2 Microns, 2 Dells, 2 Sonys and now a G4. And while it took me awhile to move from PC language to Mac language I have to say I prefer Mac over PC. It seems to me my graphics are better, it could be me of course, but I do not have the pixel action when I would enlarge my images.

In the Mac there is no housekeeping, no need to defrag, just drag and drop. empty the trash and I am done. Beautiful. No virus software so no dealing with Norton, Macaffee, etc. And NO Windows, NO Blue Screen of Death! Macs are plain simple to understand, a program may fail, but Linux keeps rolling!

But in the end does it really Matter? I agree with Sally, no it doesn't
    we like the ride of the Mac just fine, You who drive a PC like it just fine
    as well. It doesn't matter because you see we still will get to our destination, the finished work and with both platforms there will be some twist and turns. Because you see, a computer is a computer and sometimes, whether it be Mac or PC they just do what they want regardless of who is behind the wheel.

Cheers,
    Syd
    IP

what ever works eh....
    IP

Quite a funny thread this.

I am also moving over to the Mac. Let me rephrase that. I am adding a Mac into my current crop of Pc's.

If I get on with it I hope to replace my entire network with Macs. The old issues of having to lose applications I currently use on my Pc are gone.

I have seen Windows Vista running through that boot thing (Cant remember what its called) and it was no different to running on a standard pc.

It doesn't mean I hate Pc's. Never really had any massive issues in the 15 plus years I have used and supported them. Vista though did make me look around. Silly prices for too many options was a step too far but I can live with that. Thats what Microsoft are in business for. To make money. I don't begrudge them that.

I just want a change and I like what I see on the other side of the fence. If it ends up that the grass looked greener then... Well I learn from mistakes.

Either way it will be fun giving it a shot.

Cheers

Mike R
    I dont believe everything I think.
    IP

I remember when i started to do GD Professionally i had built my pc from scratch

it is what i'm used to and more familiar with.

i've never had any colour issues with my output files. (Proper claibration of card and screen)

have my pc streamlined to run just my essential software, not used for web surfing or emails or any of that type it is pure;y for my 3d and 2d work.

not once have i lost a file or corrupted a file.

never recieved a call from a printer to say they can't print the file.

so for me i do not see the point in purchasing a mac if i can do my work, quickly, efficiently and accurately. however i will be buying one to see how it is and if i can see any benifit to me and my work.

just my 2 cents

Robbie
    IP

I mostly use my HP and IBM pc's for graphics work, but I also have a G4 PowerMac w/ 866 MHz and 1-Gb ram which I use sometimes (just when I need the change)
    I also use my Compaq s5300nx for graphics now (under Linux) now that Xara LX is around!! Also my IBM T-21 laptop for when I need to get outta da house and it comes with me and my sketch pad once every other weekend on a Sunday as I like to get out and take in some creativity.
    But all in all for me, I have always seen this PC vs. MAc thing just as silly as the old Ford vs. Chevy thing... You use what you want / what you like.... and that's that.
    IP

in the end it all boils down to the problem of getting your administration to cough those few extra dollars, which they never have! SO, love it or not, it end being PC ....
    IP

on another thread, I talk about how I got xara to work on mac using puppy linux booting from CD.

It's not full xara of course, but XaraLX, but for me, it's the drawing and overall feel that's important. A mac xara is in the works I think.

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=29584
    IP

I hope a mac xara is in the works as you say. Just ordered a macbook and an iMac. Jumping in with both feet.

Cheers

Mike R
    I dont believe everything I think.
    IP