Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default transparency tool question

I've been using xara x1.1, and I'm trying out 3.2 xp.

I want to be able to draw with transparent shapes. In x1.1 I was able to simply set the transparency percentage, then all the shapes I drew retained that transparency. In 3.2, the transparency setting jumps back to zero. I don't want to apply transparency after I draw a shape but before. How do I set this?

Ned

Default Re: transparency tool question

Hi Ned,
    Tried it myself and got the same results. What I think has happened is that there is or was a problem when setting current attributes like feathering, line thickness's and the one that happened to you transparencies see this thread ;http://talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=25952

If you have downloaded Pro 3.2 and not Pro 3.2.1 go to Xara's and re-download the newer version which I think will resolve the problem I can't be sure because I have not downloaded it yet. If that does not resolve the problem put a ticket into Xara.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hi Ned

Sadly the ability to set the transparency percentage as a graphic attribute - the way you describe - does not appear to work in xara xtreme.
    And that includes the latest update download.
    It's a pita. I have kept my old version of X1 because of this and one or two other changes that I understand were made to accommodate the xtreme live effects tool.
    One day hopefully xara will get it sorted out.
    Meanwhile installing both xara x1 and xara xtreme is my work-around.
    Anyone else out there know a way round it. I be grateful to hear.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for the suggestion Albacore. I overwrote xp3.20 with xp3.21, but the behavior is unfortunately the same.

I've used several versions before x1.1 and I believe they all worked the way I want. I think I also tested two newer versions since x1.1, but decided not to update because I couldn't figure out how to draw with transparent shapes. I would like to update; but since I probably spend more xara time composing with transparent shapes than anything else -- I need that ability.

Is there really no way to do this -- or is x1.1 the end of the line for me? Is it possible to install x1.1 and xp3.21 on the same machine? I might consider that...

Another thing I just noticed, if I reset the line width, the line color reverts to black. This is another negative behavior change -- and I've only used 3.2 for five minutes.

This was a deliberate change for a particular version of the program that probably should have been "unchanged" for Xtreme 3.2 because it's not what experienced users like yourselves expect.

However, there is a registry setting you can use to allow transparency to be set as a current attribute again.

For Xtreme 3.2 set this value to 1:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XaraXtreme\Options \Attributes\TransparencyBecomesCurrent

For Xtreme Pro 3.2 set this value to 1:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XaraXtremePro\Opti ons\Attributes\TransparencyBecomesCurrent

Usual disclaimer: Only fiddle with registry settings if you know what you're doing.

Phil

Ned,

I've seen this report about line width resetting line colour to black before but I've never been able to reproduce the problem until just now when I figured out how you are using the program.

Turns out it's already in the bug database and seems to exist as far back as X1 - at least in the way that I have been able to reproduce it.

Could you post a description of what you do to show this bug so I can tell whether it really is an old bug or a new one?

Thanks,

Phil
    Last edited by PhilM; 23 June 2007 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    This was a deliberate change for a particular version of the program that probably should have been "unchanged" for Xtreme 3.2 because it's not what experienced users like yourselves expect.

However, there is a registry setting you can use to allow transparency to be set as a current attribute again.

For Xtreme 3.2 set this value to 1:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XaraXtreme\Options \Attributes\TransparencyBecomesCurrent

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XaraXtremePro\Opti ons\Attributes\TransparencyBecomesCurrent

Usual disclaimer: Only fiddle with registry settings if you know what you're doing.

Phil
    Phil

With the registry change made transparency can indeed be set as a graphic attribute.
    Xtreme still does not appear to allow typing in a percentage in the info bar to set transparency amount, with no objects selected, which is a shame.
    But with 'give new objects most recent attributes' option set I can now get it to remember what the previous transparency setting applied to an object was.
    This is useful if slightly more 'clumsy' - thanks.
    )
    Last edited by handrawn; 23 June 2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Phil, that makes a world of difference.

It should probably be noted that the option "Give new objects most recent attributes" also needs to be checked.

And it still doesn't work like x1.1 where I could alter the transparency in advance of drawing anything and without any object selected -- which I prefer. But I can keep a small shape somewhere to change transparency percentages which will transfer to succeeding shapes.

Ned

Ned,

I've seen this report about line width resetting line colour to black before but I've never been able to reproduce the problem until just now when I figured out how you are using the program.

Turns out it's already in the bug database and seems to exist as far back as X1 - at least in the way that I have been able to reproduce it.

Could you post a description of what you do to show this bug so I can tell whether it really is an old bug or a new one?

Thanks,

Phil
    Using the freehand tool, I draw, for example, some blue shapes with a 4 pixel red line. I deselect all objects then change the line width to, say, 8 pixels. The line width changes correctly, and the fill remains blue; but the line changes to black. However, if I leave a shape selected, the line color remains red as it should.

As you likely discovered, my practice of deselecting all objects to alter the transparency percentage as a "current graphic attribute" -- in advance of drawing -- reveals the bug.

I also just tested this scenario on x1.1, and the colored line also reverts to black. I hadn't really noticed, because I usually draw with zero line width when using transparent shapes.

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Addie View Post
    Thanks Phil, that makes a world of difference.

It should probably be noted that the option "Give new objects most recent attributes" also needs to be checked.

And it still doesn't work like x1.1 where I could alter the transparency in advance of drawing anything and without any object selected -- which I prefer. But I can keep a small shape somewhere to change transparency percentages which will transfer to succeeding shapes.

Ned
    Yep - its a good fix - should keep us both happy
    Nothing lasts forever...