Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: community site

Regarding: highmore.org
    The site itself isn't new--the xhtml skeleton of this design dates back to October; the current styling was rolled out on the new year. I've recently (this week) thrown together a backend for one of the more arduous sections of the site--the business section -- Rather than using a database, the data is all maintained in a text file that I've taken care to ensure is self-cleaning . . . of course, I've assembled an interface for editing the data -- but those are just unimportant details that make updating easier . . .

The hardest part about working with the city was the previous lack of real quality--in content or design. It was a real mess, but it has (I like to think) really come along--there's a lot of data there, now, and it's updated regularly. My biggest complaint is that the menus are floated on either side of the text, rather than sitting outside the body. I liked how it looked, initially--but certain sections that require more shoulder room don't play so well with that and I have to just clear them and dump them beneath the menus--as seen on the business page. It's a bit of a challenge (of a different sort) working with a site that is nearly entirely text and nothing else.

But if anyone cares to take a look and drop me their take on the design, legibility, browser bugs, et al . . . I'd be grateful. The more eyes/opinions the better.

Mmm, data.

Regarding: highmore.org
    The site itself isn't new--the xhtml skeleton of this design dates back to October; the current styling was rolled out on the new year. I've recently (this week) thrown together a backend for one of the more arduous sections of the site--the business section -- Rather than using a database, the data is all maintained in a text file that I've taken care to ensure is self-cleaning . . . of course, I've assembled an interface for editing the data -- but those are just unimportant details that make updating easier . . .

The hardest part about working with the city was the previous lack of real quality--in content or design. It was a real mess, but it has (I like to think) really come along--there's a lot of data there, now, and it's updated regularly. My biggest complaint is that the menus are floated on either side of the text, rather than sitting outside the body. I liked how it looked, initially--but certain sections that require more shoulder room don't play so well with that and I have to just clear them and dump them beneath the menus--as seen on the business page. It's a bit of a challenge (of a different sort) working with a site that is nearly entirely text and nothing else.

But if anyone cares to take a look and drop me their take on the design, legibility, browser bugs, et al . . . I'd be grateful. The more eyes/opinions the better.

Mmm, data.

From there originally, hope to relocate there again eventually . . . in the mean time, I'm on the East Coast. Don't much care for the Hampton Roads area.

Will be in Rapid City in a few weeks--is that where you are?

As for the site, the design is pretty homogenous throughout as far as look/feel goes. As far as content--there's just a lot of text about the area :-) It's written in solid xhtml so, in theory, it'll degreed acceptably with older browsers, text browsers and screen readers. Not that there are many (any?) in the area. Very small community.

Thanks for the feedback

Yeah, reading your signature would have saved me asking :-) Less people is always good . . . jet noise you can get used to.

Highmore is about 45 minutes east of Pierre; a little agricultural community that has, remarkably enough, managed to hang on all this time.

Each business listing is provided by the business. E-mail addresses and URL's are listed at the bottom of each listing, if provided...

Edit: I was doing some backend maintenance this morning, though, so there was a brief window when the data wasn't displayed properly.