Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I pass a variable to my target page

Hi

How do I send a variable from a Drop Down Menu to the target page. I know I can say ID=1234 but I don't know how to capture 1234 and allocate it to the variable for passing in the URL.

I would be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks

Default Re: How do I pass a variable to my target page

What do you need to do actually?

Why would you use a variable in a closed script to pass it to another page? I would think you would have to modify the entire script.

Would be nice to know what you are trying to accomplish.

Smile Re: How do I pass a variable to my target page

Hi, thanks for replying.

I am using Front Page, Microsoft Access & ASP

In order to avoid using Cookies (something alot of users do not like) I am using the following technique.

Using the Database Results Wizard (Front Page) I generate a query to search the Members Table in my database for a record with matching Member ID & Pin.

This wizard creates a form at the top of the page to submit the variables and a database results region below to display the results of the query.

When there is a match the Database Results region is loaded with the results of the query (e.g. Member Name, Address etc). Inside this area I place a table (2 columns). In the left hand column I place my Flat Graphic Menu Links. In the right hand column, I place an Inline Frame starting with a blank page.

I can now use hypelinks from each of my graphics to send URL Content to ASP Pages containing queries that are loaded in the Inline Frame.

For example

If the Member ID was 454545 and the Pin was 1234 the following link

profile.asp?memberid=<%=Server.HtmlEncode(Request( "memberid"))%>&pin=<%=Server.HtmlEncode(Request("m emberid"))%>

would generate the following URL Content

profile.asp?memberid=454545&pin=1234.

I can then run a query on the profile.asp page that uses the MemberID & Pin Variables. This gives the impression to the user that they are logged into a "Members Area" and because the user never leaves the initial page containing the login information, it is never lost until the user closes the browser or leaves the page. Because the Graphics submitting the URL Data are outside of the inline frame and therefore never change.

The problem:

Flat graphics work fine. You just use the code as above as the hyperlink and set the target frame as the Inline Frame on the Page. However if I use the same hyperlink in the Menu Maker URL, it does not work. However if I state in the URL profile.asp?memberid=454545&pin=1234 it works fine. Problem is of course that I need to capture the MemberID & Pin.

I hope I have explained things well and I would be very grateful if either a) you could tell me the syntax and method required or suggest another approach that doesn't use cookies that would work just as well.

Thank you very much for your help.

Default Re: How do I pass a variable to my target page

P.S. On the Menu Maker, I am referring to the drop down menus