Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default creating flowers

I've seen tutorials on drawing flowers with blends etc.

But I am wanting to create some simplistic-style flowers like these - sorry for the outside link but it wouldn't let me right click to save it to my computer...

I've tried the distortion tool and I've created similar shapes to these... but I can get the the shapes like these. Particularly, the six pointed light pink one and five pointed orange one.

It's driving me nuts because I know that they have got to be simple to reproduce, but once again, the simple is eluding me...

Thanks
    Last edited by kar-po; 16 June 2007 at 08:51 PM. Reason: linked to wrong page
    IP

Default Re: creating flowers

You can make these flowers with the polygon tool. You can change the type of nodes and you can add nodes with the shape tool. Change the nodes to curves, changing nodes and not the entire shape to curves allows you to have all the benefits of the polygon tool, now shape as you would like.

Another way to make similar shapes is to use the Transformation docker and the rotation tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transformation_docker.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	38974  
    Aunt Betsy
    IP

Here is a sample of using the polygon tool.

Name:	polygon_tool.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	38976  
    Aunt Betsy
    IP

Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Here's a quickie way from me.
    The method is pretty much like Aunt Betsy's, but I always preferred the Ctrl R way of repeating the operations when duplicating with the right mouse click. Also works great for creating arrays of objects (Ctrl drag right mouse click to duplicate an object while keeping the horizontal or vertical constraint, Ctrl R to repeat it again and again...)

Name:	Flowertutorial.gif 
Views:	202 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	39022  
    IP

thanks for the ideas.

I've seen those, Sally, but they are more detailed than I'd like...

GrafixMan - how did you created the two on the top row? I can't create those shapes. Maybe it is an optical illusion, but the shape of each petal looks different on those than on the other ones...

Thanks to all of you - I've learned something from each of those helps!!
    IP

You have sharp eyes.
    The two on the top were created a bit differently . It was more of a hit or miss experimental process from me than the one on my mini-tutorial, and I thought nobody would notice. You could modify the shape of the intersected piece before duplicate-rotating it, though and you'll end up with something similar.
    What I did was to create an polygon with the desired number of corners (choose the polygon, not the star alternative and hold down the Ctrl key so you could drag out a regular polygon). With the quick shape still selected, hold down the ctrl key and drag the control node inwards so that you create a multipoint star. http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli.../1161192409839
    Convert the shape to a regular path. With the node editor, select all nodes, convert the edges from straight to curved. You will not notice any change in the shape after this operation because the nodes are all cusp nodes. Now select all the nodes at the spikes of the star (drag-select, shift select or click the select all nodes button) and convert the node type from cusp to symmetrical. You will now have a star with fat rounded points. The nodes on the spikes should remain selected at this point. Convert these nodes back to cusp nodes again. The star's shape should not have any visible change. Select all nodes again and press the add node button. New nodes will be added to the sides of the spikes. With all nodes still selected, convert the curved edges back to straight edges ( are you still with me?) then convert to curved edges, again.... Then finally, select the nodes created with the add node button and delete them. That should give you the final result...
    Now you know why I didn't do a tutorial on that process...
    IP