Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I get Free Upgrade ??

http://www.xara.com/news/may07/

Hi,
    I purchased Xara XTreme Pro 3.0 couple of weeks ago. According to the above article, I qualify for the free upgrade. How do I get the free upgrade? I looked everywhere in the Xara website. I didn't find any mention about free upgrade.

Kind Regards,
    Sudhansu

Default Re: How do I get Free Upgrade ??

You could trying signing in to your account at,

http://www.xaraonline.com/

NeilH is offline Xara Group Ltd. Development Manager Member

Quote Originally Posted by sspati View Post
    http://www.xara.com/news/may07/

.... How do I get the free upgrade? I looked everywhere in the Xara website. I didn't find any mention about free upgrade.
    It's on the web site. Go to the main Xtreme page, www.xara.com/xtreme. Click the Buy Online button on the left, then the Upgrading/Discounts button. See the 3rd bullet point at the top.

Basically just go ahead with purchasing online and you'll be given a 100% discount if your account already owns Pro 3.0.

Neil

Re: How do I get Free Upgrade ??

What really sucks for me is I missed the deadline by 7 days. I've got a ticket in to sales to see if they will let me slide (not heard anything yet) since I've been using Xara products since the beginning of time - LOL. Hope they cut me some slack....
    Dave Zubrowski

No slack, I think I will pass on 3.2....Too bad since I've been using Xara products for many years. So if you missed the deadline by a couple of days don't bother asking about the free upgrade.
    Dave Zubrowski

You can understand the thinking behind this. They are going to have to be strict, otherwise how close to the deadline do all customers have to be to be able to argue you are entitled to a free copy. In Xara’s case, I would argue that once the new product was advertised about, all sales after that qualify for the free upgrade, but before it was known about, no qualification. It’s the only sensible way about doing the ‘free upgrade’ (which is effectively equivalent to just buying the new product early). I’m sure we can all sympathise with having just missed out though. At least it was just a point upgrade and not a major one. There is no real way around buying something only to find a new release a short time later. Unless there was a 30 day before launch semi-rebate scheme employed where you get some money off an upgrade, but then things get more difficult to manage.

I have tried what this thread suggests and get the phenomenon of a reported $39 upgrade becoming a $69 charge. So have gone no further. Any suggestions? I have registered the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    You can understand the thinking behind this. They are going to have to be strict, otherwise how close to the deadline do all customers have to be to be able to argue you are entitled to a free copy. In Xara’s case, I would argue that once the new product was advertised about, all sales after that qualify for the free upgrade, but before it was known about, no qualification. It’s the only sensible way about doing the ‘free upgrade’ (which is effectively equivalent to just buying the new product early). I’m sure we can all sympathise with having just missed out though. At least it was just a point upgrade and not a major one. There is no real way around buying something only to find a new release a short time later. Unless there was a 30 day before launch semi-rebate scheme employed where you get some money off an upgrade, but then things get more difficult to manage.
    This whole 'paying from 3.02 to 3.2' is really feeling like a major hose job.

Unhappy Re: How do I get Free Upgrade ??

Quote Originally Posted by berklee View Post
    This whole 'paying from 3.02 to 3.2' is really feeling like a major hose job.
    agree 100%, $49 just to go from 3.02 to 3.2 hm, i see the changes in the air with this new ownership, not to better , well, life must go on with or without upgrade
    cheers to all
    mike

Xtreme (standard) is being upgraded from version 2.0 to 3.21 at a cost of about $50. Pro is being upgraded from 3.0 to 3.21, at the same cost of $50 again. Why this price is the same for two relatively differently sized upgrades is debatable, and is perhaps where people's unhappiness really lies. Upgrading can thus be seen as good value for money (in the standard Xtreme case), or pricey (in the case of Pro).

I suspect Pro owners are unhappy because if they didn't upgrade, then the standard Xtreme version would have superior functionality, but upgrading Pro seems less of a good deal for the money - especially if they already own X3D.

Maybe, a small discount for X3D owners who wanted to upgrade Pro would have been swallowed better, as has been suggested on the forums elsewhere.