Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Xaralx progress!

You don't see the point..

It's not only about the software, but about the ethics beyond it.

The purpouse is to have a Free (as Freedom of Speech) Pro tools, that's the point. Nothing Less.

The double solution you're talking of doesn't work in this philosophy

Need pro tools in Free Software? Let's give a hand to the developers no?

tell me your p.o.w. ^^
    IP

What do you think are the ethics behind Free software?

(I wish there were also free food, free apartments, free cars and free cinema films available.)

Remi
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    (I wish there were also free food, free apartments, free cars and free cinema films available.)
    So do I, but that has nothing to do with OSS. What is free software?
    IP

I know the fine differences, but in practice it's nearly the same as "free beer":

"You may have paid money to get copies of free software, or you may have obtained copies at no charge. But regardless of how you got your copies, you always have the freedom to copy and change the software, even to sell copies."
    [source: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html]

That means, if Coca Cola would deliver me their soft drink together with their recipe (open source), I would be able to change their recipe or leave it the same and sell my own product with it. Personally I have no problem, if they would decide to do something like that, but I'm not sure how much employees would be fired after that. Not every freedom comes without a price.

Remi
    IP

Yes! Exactly! And when coca cola co. decide not to support your bottle of coke anymore, and instead are trying to get you to buy coca cola version 2.1 which doesnt offer any advantage, you can make bugfixes for it yourself or hire someone else to do it. Isnt that Great?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by con View Post
    Isnt that Great?
    No, I would prefer to be the owner of Coca Cola and get some millions (billions?) from another company, which would like to buy my company and not, that the whole world could use my (hard) work and make money with it (for nothing).

Remi
    IP

lol....i like this discussion...actually I was the owner of a bakery for 10 years and we used give our recepies to our customers all the time, and guess what the company is still in business makin as much money if not more as when I was there. And no one, not single person managed bake anything that looked or tasted anything like our products. So dont worry, you will still get your billions.
    IP