Anyone who uses OSS to make a living has to ask him/herself "how much is this software worth to me?". Alot of ppl and companies make monetary contributions to OSS projects.

Anyone who works on a OSS project has to ask him/herself "can I afford not to get paid?". No one is getting tricked into working for free, dont speak for them. If you feel anyone who is developing OSS being treated unfair, send them money!

When OSS devs feel they are being treated unfair they stop writing the software, its quite simple. People working on OSS are for the most regular ppl like you and me with jobs and families or they are students or whatever. They decided on their own to start a project or help on a excisting one, they work on it when they have time, its a hobby. Dont forget alot of ppl enjoy programming its fun, its not like working in a coalmine or cottonfields.

Am I making any sense? Bottomline is, for the most part OSS is not about money at all, business ppl love to make it look like it is to protect their own interest.