Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Alphabetical Brush Category!?

Hi everyone!

When you click on the Brush Category, you get a list which is not alphabetical and, although not a major problem, is a pain!!!

Can the Brush Category list be modified and if so how?

Many thanks and happy painting!
    Richard
    IP

Default Re: Alphabetical Brush Category!?

Hi Richard,

Lucky we know what Painter version that is by the problem description, since you didn't say which version.

Painter X it is!

Go to the New Features page on the Corel Painter X website:

Product Highlights and New Features

Scroll down to the paragraph that begins with New Workspace Manager:, read that paragraph and at the end, click the link named "See it in action to watch a short video that, among other things, shows you how to do what you want.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

We meet again!

I found it and worked on it the other day.....
    easy to do......
    Windows
    Customise Workspace
    Select Brushes
    and just moved categories into Alphabetical order!

I don't know why there not in Alphabetical order as default, but there again, who am I

I did have a few problems when naming and exporting the Workspace ; program crashed it was as if it was trying to open up Painter again!?

All the best and Happy Painting!
    Richard
    IP

My own theory on why the Corel Painter developers presented us with the default Painter Brushes library's brush categories out of alphabetical order is....

People have wanted, for a long time, to be able to organize their brushes in one way or another that wasn't possible until Painter X. They may want to organize brush categories in the order the artist uses them, for instance with dry brush categories together, oil brush categories together, wet brush categories together, like this:

Chalk
    Charcoal
    Pastels
    Pencils

and

Digital Watercolor
    Gouache
    Watercolor

and

Artists' Oils
    Oils
    Oil Pastels

Or they may want to only have a few brush categories listed in the Brush Selector brush category list. If all they want to see is wet brush categories, they can close the eye icons for all other brush categories but the ...

Digital Watercolor
    Gouache
    Watercolor

Or they may want to also see only a few favorite brush variants in each of these brush categories. Now they can close the eye icons for all of the brush variants they don't want to see in the Brush Selector's brush variant list.

All that can be saved with a Workspace and other Workspaces can be set up in a similar way for other kinds of painting and drawing.

So, I think the brush categories were out of order to draw our attention to the freedom we have to arrange brushes however we like!

That's what I think!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP