Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Heyas. I'm a 'tryin-to-become' offsite int. freelancer in the web design/develop area. I have experience, education, portfolio etc. but... To the point - I have been trying to get some freelance job over past 2 months at the freelance web stations (like elance, smarterwork, elance 2000 etc...) but it kinda actually su*ks being among 60-80 other candidates, and you're not even sure if project-offering-person/company will ever choose candidate or cancel the whole project (I have some 'didnt-pick-a-contractor-45 days after bidding was over' projects still in my 'pending' area).

Could anyone give me an advice on finding freelance jobs around the net? Please...
    (Or even better, is there anyone who knows someone who is hiring offsite freelancers?)

About me: I'm resident of Croatia (Dunno if its a drawback being an outsider-country resident, tho my rates are considerably low), I'm BS in Computer Science - Graphics Design, and I have some International experience already (Tho that was on reference basis). For something that I have created, u can check AC TIPs, or see some templates for Croatian IT Portal at Template for PC Ekspert. - I also encourage you to criticise this work (Mebbe I just suck?)

Well, thats it, I would appreciate ANY answer. Thanks in advance...

Yours:

Ivan Solaja, ]isolaja@bbm.hr

P.S. Spelling/typing probably su*ck, sorry bout that.

IP

Heyas. I'm a 'tryin-to-become' offsite int. freelancer in the web design/develop area. I have experience, education, portfolio etc. but... To the point - I have been trying to get some freelance job over past 2 months at the freelance web stations (like elance, smarterwork, elance 2000 etc...) but it kinda actually su*ks being among 60-80 other candidates, and you're not even sure if project-offering-person/company will ever choose candidate or cancel the whole project (I have some 'didnt-pick-a-contractor-45 days after bidding was over' projects still in my 'pending' area).

Could anyone give me an advice on finding freelance jobs around the net? Please...
    (Or even better, is there anyone who knows someone who is hiring offsite freelancers?)

About me: I'm resident of Croatia (Dunno if its a drawback being an outsider-country resident, tho my rates are considerably low), I'm BS in Computer Science - Graphics Design, and I have some International experience already (Tho that was on reference basis). For something that I have created, u can check AC TIPs, or see some templates for Croatian IT Portal at Template for PC Ekspert. - I also encourage you to criticise this work (Mebbe I just suck?)

Well, thats it, I would appreciate ANY answer. Thanks in advance...

Yours:

Ivan Solaja, ]isolaja@bbm.hr

P.S. Spelling/typing probably su*ck, sorry bout that.

IP

>>Could anyone give me an advice on finding freelance jobs around the net?

Sure! Use any a search engine, Type in (Jobs Freelance artist).

By the way, its a very competitive market.

Goodluck!

[This message was edited by Mike Bailey on August 14, 2000 at 06:35 AM.]
    IP

Hi Mike...

How about grossly, overly competitive? One really has to be very well qualified in design, typography, etc. just to even rate a "look-see"!

If that is one's heart's desire, be prepared for a dog fight... there's a big, drawing pool out there!

Me... I'll just stick to designing logos, exhibits and visual presentations. I already have my foot in the door!

Good luck,

Gary

IP

Hey Mike & Gary (And others)

Actually, my question was/is:

'What OTHER resources/sites/newsletters/whatever are available BESIDES sites listed at Altavista (And similar) pages, if anyone know...'

Well thats it actually [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Ivan

P.S. Are there agencies like Aquent which deal with offsite-job contractors/freelancers (Thru the agent(s))? (Aquent doesnt want to deal with ppl w/o visa, like the majority anyway...)
    IP

I am very familiar with your situation. Although I was born and raised in the US, I read many messages in newsgroups, etc. about the market for "non-citizens" doing work remotely. Right now the biggest market is here in the US. So the question is: How do you get work here in the States?

As a non-graphically oriented individual (I'm graphically impaired! I hope this doesn't offend anyone if this is an actual handicap) I have used graphic designers before for projects I'm working on. I would suggest you find "programmers" and see if you could be their "outsource" for their graphic needs.

Many of us programmer types are more analytical than we are creative. We need people like you to help us finish projects. If we can outsource our graphical needs, keep the client happy and get everything finished on time and make a few bucks while doing it, GREAT!!!

I might suggest that you post on some of the project sites; elance.com, newmediary.com, ework.com, freelance.com and any of the others and ask for developers or programmers that need graphics help with their projects.

Also go to the newsgroups and post a question almost like a survey:

What source do developers/programmers use for their graphic design needs?

Do it myself.
    In-house staff.
    Outsource.
    Leave it to the client.

See what type of response you get. Focus your marketing on the types of people who respond.

Anyway, this is just my opinion.

Hope this helps.
    IP

Hi. I am the webmaster of http://www.allfreelance.com/ - You should read this articles I just wrote - http://www.allfreelance.com/article6.html - It is on how to create a winning profile. I am a freelancer myself, and most of the jobs I have gotten online is when the employers come and find me. In this article it explains how to set up your profile to get a great client turnout. I also recommend applying to hundreds of jobs a week, more than you can handle. This way you will get several offers, more than you can handle, and this way you can pick and choose. Please visit and if you have any questions contact me.

Rachel
    AllFreelance.com
    Deezin.com

Rachel G.
    AllFreelance.com
    All Freelance
    ----------
    Deezin.com
    The Graphic Design Resources Center
    IP

I am doing my fifth web site free lancing.
    I am just a one-man band, though, and I am doing small sites, under fifty pages.

I have been busy the last several months just getting business in my local community.

I do not seek work off the web, and my advice is that it much easier to find work, freelancing, locally. I haven't advertised, just word of mouth so far. I'm not getting the big bucks, but I am learning and getting my feet wet.

Also, I noticed they hire many independent contractors for web design at www.dice.com, but I haven't tried that link, yet.

HTH,

Patrick Lockwood.
    IP