Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: How did you come up with your member name?

gimme a commie any day. Worse than MS DOS! No graphics, sickly green or amber screens... Had to use those POS's to write courseware. After 1 day I took the work home and did it on my Commie.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

I still have a C=64 and a C=128D in the attic. I should pull them down and check them out some time. I found my old TRS-80 Color Computer a few months ago It originally came with 4K of RAM and I had it upgraded to 16K about 27 years ago
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I Have about 10 commies sitting in my garage. One of them in the original packaging. I wonder what they go for these days on e-bay. I guess I should check sometime...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Hay I have a C-64 in my garage. I remember making my first banner on it for my nephew's birthday using print statments. That was before I got Print Shop for it. I had different colored ribbons for my Panisonic 1091 printer and I use to run the paper through the printer for each color that I had in the banner. That is where I started with computer graphics.
    Aunt Betsy

You guys with Commodores... I was an Atari user. My first Atari 800 had serial number 256, hand written. There were notes from techs inside.

Data storage was on an audiocassette. When I finally got a floppy drive, it was over $400.

Those were the good old days.
    ---
    Will

Betsy, those old C-64 computer's were very good as a first start to computer graphics. It was one of the first that had 16 colours viewable on screen. The Apple IIe of that time period only had 4 colours viewable at a time.

Will the Atari computers were very good. The biggest downfall for them was their releasing new models with advanced features before they recouped their development cost. The GEM interface for the Atari ST series was one of the first GUI systems available.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...user_interface
    Scroll down to about the middle of the page for the Atari information.
    Last edited by Soquili; 17 June 2007 at 03:13 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill, my last Atari was the Falcon, the first on the market to have a full megabyte of RAM. The graphic interface was actually based on the Xerox model. I could have several programs running at the same time, all in their own windows, and the file management had features I wish Windows had now!

One of the features I really liked was that when looking at the file list, I could hold down the ctrl key, then click a file, and select every file with the same extension.

It came complete with AtariWorks, with Word Processor, DataBase and Spreadsheet.

The irony is that I had a software emulator which loaded into RAM and allowed me to run IBM software faster than the real PC right up until the 486 came out!
    ---
    Will

Got in kinda late, my name came from a book I've been reading - The Lord of the Rings.

I've been using "Availor" since I remember myself on the internet. It's a combination of the word "avail", prevail, valour and "Avatar".

Okay, lets make a long story short.

It was the first name I used en Elite when I played it on my C=64
    So the first saved name on a computer for me.

I don`t know why I choose it, but later I discovered it is also
    the name of a mummy that is in the National museum of antiquities
    in Leiden.(although written as anchhor) I visited that place only once when they were busy building
    the temples etc. (later I visited more)they have gotten out of gratitude for helping to relocate
    many artifacts when the dam was being build that would flood those old buildings. I was in my first year of chemistry school and it was a shooltrip.
    I started noticing a lot of things after I had been there, like symbolism
    etc.. I never wondered why, until I much later also discovered that this
    mummy was the nephew of the mummy that channeled the info to Aleister Crowley (according to Aleister Crowley) of some book.

Now this is the very short version.
    be aware, not to become a ware.