Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can Photoshop Brushes be used in Painter?

Hi!

There are many brushes made for Photoshop and I want to know if they can be converted for use in Painter X?

Are there brushes made for Painter X?

I'm looking for fur brushes?

Many thanks and happy painting
    Richard
    IP

Default Re: Can Photoshop Brushes be used in Painter?

No, Photoshop brushes can't be used in Corel Painter.

However, if you can locate and write to whoever created the Photoshop brush images you want to use, tell them you'd like to use their images to create custom brush variants in Corel Painter, get prior written permission from that person (who owns the copyrights), you can then create Captured Dab brush variants using those images in Corel Painter.

Truth is, you can make a Captured Dab brush variant from any image, painted, drawn, scanned items, or parts of photos, so you don't really need Photoshop brush images at all. It's fun making them, so try it.

Instructions for creating Captured Dab brush variants are found in Help > Help Topics in the following location:

Painter X Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > Customizing Brushes

Click the plus sign to the left of Customizing Brushes, then click Managing Custom Brushes.

On the right panel, at the top, click the link named "Capturing Brush Dabs".

Read that section but when you make a selection of the image you want to use as the Captured Dab, don't hold down the Shift key. Just drag a square-ish selection around the image. The reason is, if you do it in the wrong order (Shift key first before placing your cursor on the Canvas), Painter will think you want to add to an existing selection and in the Brush Selector menu, the Capture Dab command will be greyed out.

Bottom line is, there's no magic "fur brush" that automatically paints perfect fur but there is one that paints kind of gimmicky but fun "fur" installed with Painter X (and some earlier versions) in the default Painter Brushes library > F-X brush category named of all things....

Furry Brush!

Seriously, Painter artists often use brush variants installed with the program to paint fur and hair, and they do it well, depending on their experience, skill, and talent.

Good luck with your fur painting!

Last edited by Jinny Brown; 14 June 2007 at 12:43 PM.
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Default Re: Can Photoshop Brushes be used in Painter?

Hi Jinny and thanks for all the advice and guidance!

The Capture Dab may be able to help with my needs and fun to try anyway!

I'll work on the fur

All the best and Happy Painting!
    Richard

I'm off to check your site
    IP