Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: stain effect?

Default stain effect?

i've been trying to get a similar effect like this using the stain feature in photo impact pro 8.5 but it turns out like this how can i get that effect? Can someone please help me out, this is driving me crazy.
    IP

Default Re: stain effect?

Hi:
    I'm not a Ulead user, just a web/graphic designer but can tell you that it isn't a stain.
    I did this in Xara LX by importing your image, creating a white box over it and then applying a flat transparency to that box and tweaking the transparency to where I wanted it. In The Gimp, Photoshop, Artweaver, any graphics program that has layers; I would open and place your image on the first layer, then create a white fill layer, then tweak the settings (usually sliders) for opacity to make that top fill layer look like an even mist. You could instead use a pale yellow fill layer to go more with your theme colors. An even fog or mist effect filter/plugin would do the same thing.
    I like you background color and prefer the effect you managed with the stain filter on your image. It looks better than what you were trying to emulate, for you site and this image. As a web designer, I'll tell you that the faded text on both sites, far from looking cool and mysterious (and I know you think it does) is going to make your visitors think there is something wrong with the site or their screens. I would really recommend that you darken up the text, even consider a dark gray or black. Your visitors won't be able to read it easily the way it is now and probably won't stick around to look at the links or join.
    Looks like you've got a very good start.
    Best of luck with it!
    Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightened.png 
Views:	499 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	38306  
    Last edited by Shaman; 28 May 2007 at 07:07 AM.
    "I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, "This is what I believe. Finished." What I believe is alive... and open to growth."
    Madeleine L'Engle
    IP

I agree with Scott, too. Play with the transparency value of a solid color filled layer (or even texture filled layers, if you're feeling adventurous) over the pic, and also with the blend modes, and you could find some interesting variations of the effect. Or you could turn the idea around and play with the transparency and blend mode of the pic layer over a solid color filled background instead...
    Copying an effect exactly is a good exercise, but it would still be just copying.
    About the faded effect, it's a cool idea, but as said above, it is a bit hard to read. Perhaps a mouse over effect which makes the links and pictures darker (or normally colored) when the cursor goes over it?
    IP

This may be too late but try this:

Go to Format...

Hue & Saturation

Adjust the lightness control to the level that looks best to you.

Good luck,

Demelza
    IP

thanks, but i figured it out. the magic of "overlay" and "colorize"

shocking that i've had PI 8.5 since 2004 and i'm STILL finding new features.

here's an example of what i did:

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Rika24/av...lonewolves.png
    Last edited by Rika24; 14 July 2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: added image
    IP