Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default help! : Screensaver scr to exe file?

i dont know if anyone can help as this is not actually a xara 3d problem but it is related.
    i am new to this and having experimented have got to grips with the program somewhat. I have created a screensaver in x3d and have saved it and it works well on my computer, however i would like to be able to pack it as a self extracting exe file for others to use, i cannot find out how to do this.
    has anyone got any ideas?
    thanx.
    Last edited by ~Pheonixx~; 28 May 2007 at 01:29 PM.

Default Re: help!

Hi Pheonixx,
    The official method would be to purchase the sofware to zip files.

The unofficial method (keep this hush hush) would be to email the screensaver to a Google Mail address. First you will have to rename it from .scr to .txt (text file) as most email companies do not allow executable files to be sent as email due to the fear of spreading viruses. Then compose an email, upload it as an attachment. You will then have to upload more files with it. For example other text files with instructions on how to open the screensaver.
    Once sent, you can download all of the files together. Gmail will then automatically zip them to your computer. Unzip your .txt files and rename your screensaver file from .txt to .scr

PS you should use more helpful posting titles so that others have an idea what the subject is during searches in the future (or even now).

thanx, i should have said that i need to be able to change the scr file i get from xara 3d into a self extracting exe so it can be posted on a website for people to d/l, sorry i'm not good at this .

Hello Pheonixx,

The information that Anas gave you is still the correct answer. You need a program like WinZip or PKZip or WinRAR to create a self extracting exe file.

Those programs work by compression the .scr file within in a zip or rar file type and then wrapping it within a small executable that unzips the compressed content.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: help! : Screensaver scr to exe file?

Thanx for your help, i have it sorted now. sorry for the length of time in replying but thanx to the dog and a thunder storm the laptop has only just come back from the repair shop