Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Which would be most valuable to you?

Voters
201. This poll is closed
  • SVG import

39 19.40%
  • Better Adobe Illustrator import

83 41.29%
  • HTML export

79 39.30%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which would be most valuable to you?

Anyone can post in this thread and vote in the poll, even if you're not registered. But registering is recommended.
    IP

Default Re: Which would be most valuable to you?

SVG is not a dead horse yet, but it is showing signs of being nearly there. Except in Linux circles.

Adobe Illustrator is considered to be the industry standard and probably will be for the foreseeable future. Having betting Illustrator support would be the most logical choice.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Which would be most valuable to you?
    What, you mean generally speaking or just for Xara apps?
    I don't know how a .xar would be exported to .html
    IP

Ultimately? Enlightenment!
    But since I'm guessing you are actually talking about the Xara products, I'm thinking all of the above, in no particular priority, except for that enlightenment thing.
    Scott
    "I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, "This is what I believe. Finished." What I believe is alive... and open to growth."
    Madeleine L'Engle
    IP

Unregistered Guest

Lightbulb Re: Which would be most valuable to you?

to my mind the most useful of these 3 is HTML export..if im understanding correctly then you would be able to design web pages directly in xara & export them & be able to use them in a website...Brilliant!!!! especially if they are vector web pages..is that possible?
    IP

Definitely, it should be better AI/EPS/PDF support. It's industrial standard de-facto and while Xara is a vector application, it has to support it perfectly!
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC
    IP

Charlie Smith Guest

Thumbs up Re: Which would be most valuable to you?

"To my mind the most useful of these 3 is HTML export..if im understanding correctly then you would be able to design web pages directly in xara & export them & be able to use them in a website...Brilliant!!!! especially if they are vector web pages..is that possible?"

I totally agree with the above statement. I would give ANYTHING to be able to export a XAR file to HTML. I mean, designing web pages directly in Xara Extreme would be fantastic. Just thinking about it makes me giddy!! And... having that type of exporting ability would definitely position Xara as being a viable alternative to Microsoft's new "Expression" web editor and graphics editor programs. Exporting XAR to HTML? Yes!!!!!

Charlie S.
    IP

Unregistered Guest

Lightbulb Re: Which would be most valuable to you?

How about, in Xtreme Pro, you give it real Pro-level text handling? As in, handling the full capabilities of OpenType Pro fonts, at least as well as Adobe InDesign? This means automatic handling of ligatures beyond the usual fi and fl, but also including ff, ffi, ffl, offi (in script fonts), Th, and any others included in the font. It means true small caps and upper/lowercase digits and punctuation (currency symbols, parantheses, brackets, hyphens, em and en dashes, colons, and semicolons, among others, that change their vertical position and perhaps even size and style, based on whether they’re in a text block that has been made normal, ALL UPPERCASE, or SMALL CAPS), not just letters. It means script fonts where the individual letters change shape based on surrounding letters (actually, lots and lots of ligatures), and have user-selectable variants as well (Mac OS X users who have ever played with the Zapfino font using the TextEdit program, both of which come with Mac OS X, know what I’m talking about here).

Other highly desirable pro-level text-handling features include hanging punctuation; true optical kerning, alignment, and justification; and both line-level and paragraph-level composing.
    IP

I voted for better Adobe Illustrator import, but I have comments on SVG and HTML export.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    SVG is not a dead horse yet, but it is showing signs of being nearly there. Except in Linux circles ...
    The thing I desperately want is a standard, web-enabled vector format, which would allow meaningful, re-sizable vector borders and backgrounds on a web page rendered in a modern browser on any platform. This would be a huge leap forward for the web design community.

If SVG is not that standard, then what is the logical, standards-based, open alternative?

As a web designer, I don't see how Xtreme could export a graphic to HTML in any meaningful, satisfactory way. Tables are on their way out as a layout tool, and it is hard to imagine how to translate a free-form, object-based, layered drawing into a CSS/HTML layout that makes semantic sense and validates.

-Ken
    IP

Unregistered Guest

I will vote for .xar to HTML,*what about CSS*handling? I personally asked Xara to implement webseditor to their awesome software. Am I right that this idea is a one step closer to that point?

Anyway my vote HTML.
    IP