Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Athena,
    Glad you are getting back. I guess my three months was a picnic compared to what you have been through with your Soup Cooker.

Greg
    IP

"My conclusion is that for MY system 98SE was unstable. My system is a clone
    that I built with a via MVP3 chipset, an AMD K6-2 350, an ATI all-in-wonder pro
    (8MB) (don't laugh it was top of the line in its day)."

The K6-2 CPU can be unstable on Win98SE at speeds above 300Mhz. There's a patch at the Microsoft website that corrects this. If you didn't install it, that's why your computer was trashy. Not important now, but I thought you might want to know about it. (I have a K6-2 500, which is how I found out about it.)

KB article #Q192841: Problems Using High Speed AMD K6-2/350 Central Processing Unit

The VIA chipset can be flaky with USB, and you might want to do some research. I have an MVP3 mainboard myself, which is how I found out about that as well.
    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/VIA%20T...d%20Tricks.htm

Doug Frost
    IP

Having a friend who runs Win 98 2nd on a AMD K6 500MHz machine, and who has nothing but trouble, I visited the question you write about on Microsoft's site (I felt like inside the Death Star), but the problem is about Win 95 and AMD K6, they state that the problem has been fixed for Win 98...

Still, it confirms what I try to explain to him: Celeron, Duron and K6 are like handy vans, but Athlon, Thunderbird and Pentium are like big trucks. Both can have the same speed when all goes well, but in the mountains,when things become difficult, the trucks carry on with their heavy load, while the vans tend to crash...it's never the speed that's of prime importance, but what you can load AND as much RAM as you can afford.

I bought my first computer ever a little more than a year ago, a Compaq (nothing but trouble with those backweb things they implant), but when it was electrocuted by an overdose of volts, I gladly chose to assemble a PC with only the same processor speed but a real Pentium and lots of RAM with it, instead of a Gigabyte sportscar that has no place for luggage. (my car is a small van...)
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    IP

Erik!

98 lite? I recall hearing about that back in the US vs MS trial. Might be worth looking into. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

RE: AMD K62 and win95b (aka OSR2) . . . yes I had that problem too. I had to d-load a patch and install it shortly after tricking my motherboard (Through forcing ESCD update) to run Win 95 OSR2. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I was so proud of my computer though, I thought that my processor was too fast for win 95 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] who knows. . . It was fixed in 98 SE.

RE: Opera

another worthy experiment. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    <hr>

Monastic Bat!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] two computers, twice the fun. . . .

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] actually 3 if you count the notebook

Doug!

(aka DLFrost)

wow! you don't know how timely that info was for me. I have recently discovered that PC number 2 which has a USB modem (for those random emergencies when you need to dial in [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )and the USB modem has, in fact interfered with normal work on that computer.

I never would have suspected my chipset was betraying me all this time. . .but it makes sense. I will have to follow up on that information soon. but Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Your information was invaluable!

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP