Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Video for all Vector Cartoonists

Here is a great technique in Illustrator which could be used by all vector apps. The movie shows how to give a hand trace object that hand drawn look we sometimes want. At the moment the site has exceeded the bandwidth so try tomorrow: http://www.warking.com/Cartoon_Line_work.mov
    Design is thinking made visual.

Default Re: Video for all Vector Cartoonists

Hi Albacore

That's a good link thanks - I found that very interesting, it certainly made the lines of the Bambi trace look better to me, and it looks straightforward enough in Illustrator.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Works in xara too - after converting [curved] line to shape
    Nothing lasts forever...

This seems to work quite with xara - attached is a quick test I did having converted curved line to shape - its by no means finished.
    Need a lot of practice at this vector drawing, and this will encourage me I think.

Works even better for me in inkscape [convert line to path], as I find the xara curve handles so darn hard to see - they are just too small.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g-mouse.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	38153  
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, thanks for that steve.

I have no problem with this technique in Xtreme, I tend to simply drag the edge, or place a node where I need to make a point, rather than fiddle with the handles.

It is a much quicker technique than drawing both an outline and an interior shape, but still, not as fast and easy as a floodfill. Can't have evrything LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
    Yes, thanks for that steve.

I have no problem with this technique in Xtreme, I tend to simply drag the edge, or place a node where I need to make a point, rather than fiddle with the handles.

It is a much quicker technique than drawing both an outline and an interior shape, but still, not as fast and easy as a floodfill. Can't have evrything LOL!
    Yeh right of course and isn't that the way Bob Hahn does it and he should know!
    I'm just a beginner in this - thought I'd do the video tutorial 'the text book way' for the practice. I need the practice.

Ah well back now to my mapping pens...... oh yes and floodfills too
    Nothing lasts forever...

I just thought that technique could be used by all vector programmes. I got bored half through the video as it was too long just showing the same moves with the same technique. Steve it is nice to see you trying the technique which is more than I have done!
    Design is thinking made visual.

I have tried to see this for several days but have gotten the band-width exceeded error message. Just now, it seems to be gone. I hope I will be able to see it later.
    Regards,

Alan
    The unexamined life is not worth living--Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by alanstancliff View Post
    I have tried to see this for several days but have gotten the band-width exceeded error message. Just now, it seems to be gone. I hope I will be able to see it later.
    Hi Alan - hows things?

The tutorial is illustrator specific. The important point in illustrator as I understand it is to have outlines on both sides of the stroke.
    I reckon the principles are applicable across the board in vector as Albacore says - the equivalent in xara being convert line to shape [convert line to path in inkscape].
    Essentially its just shaping the lines, to alter weight and give sweeps to a point, using the bezier handles [curve handles in xara].
    As has also been pointed out it is an established technique for many users of xara/inkscape in other ways if not this one.

Attached a quick example
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by handrawn; 23 May 2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: grammar
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Steve,

I'm sure you squeezed every possible drop out of this mangelwurzel with your explanation.

I appreciate your having gone to the trouble.
    Regards,

Alan
    The unexamined life is not worth living--Socrates