Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Newbie question about drawing

Hi. I just started to learn CorelDraw X3 and I'd like to ask two question about drawing. First of all, what's the standart/preferred/easiest way to draw shapes like these:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/139/example1az0.gif

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6528/example2yd2.gif

I tried to draw such shapes with artistic media tool-presets but they didn't turned out smooth. Is there a way to smooth out shapes drawn with presets?

Thanks!
    IP

Default Re: Newbie question about drawing

The Artistic Media tool does not offer the finesse of say, italic lines when done in Xara. But it is pressure sensitive and you can draw quite nice lines that way with a Wacom Tablet. Better stick to Wacom as that is supported. Even with that, the ending of the line does not taper out completely. If you go to wireframe view you can see that the heart of the line is an invisible line. If you are just drawing, this is not an issue especially, but if it is for a logo and it will be vinyl cut, you'll want to Break Artistic Media apart. The line is still there but you can remove it now. This part is best done in Wireframe view.

A word further on Xara and drawing with italic lines, as the presets in CorelDRAW are italic but not pressure sensitive, the same goes for Xara but have generally fewer nodes added. Of course you can adjust this in DRAW, you can also take and change the nodes to "smooth" which means the curve with be equal on each side of the node. The thicker the line, the more it will look like there is something wrong with the line.

I work in both programs and use each for what each are best suited for. I would just love it if DRAW's lines were that exquisite.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Thanks for the info. I forgot to tell I don't have a Wacom tablet or anything on that sort. I'm only using mouse. Also I don't know any Xara
    IP

DRAW and Xara were at one time affiliated, with Xara actually designing much of the cool stuff: like interactive transparency and gradients and drop shadows, I think. There are Xara forums also on this forum and there are loads of cool stuff you can draw and utilities you can get for Xara from this site and also Xaraxone.com

Xara has a free download at xara.com for a trial, really recommend it to you, especially since you are drawing with a mouse.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Using CorelDraw X3, if I want really smooth curves for these kinds of shapes I don’t bother with using the Artistic media tool. I start with a single line curve drawn with whatever tool gives me the kind of control I need. For the curves in my sample I used mostly the pen tool. I make the single line into the exact shape I want using the node editing. I then duplicate my line and off set it to the desired thickness of the shape, I may reduce it in size if I want more of an inside curve. I now select both lines and apply the “Combine” command. In the node edit mode using the shape tool, I select the nodes at the one end of both lines and select the “Join Two Nodes” command, repeat this at the other end of both lines. I can now apply a fill to the object. If you can make a smooth line you can make a smooth object. To make the process faster make sure you have the “Duplicate” and “Combine” commands on your tool bar. The “Combine” command should show up in the property bar when you select both lines, but you will have to add the “Duplicate” or learn to use another short cut like the keyboard Ctrl+D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curve_sample.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	38165  
    Last edited by Aunt Betsy; 22 May 2007 at 09:23 PM.
    Aunt Betsy
    IP

Thanks a lot for the info Aunt Betsy.
    IP

Well, Aunt Betsy

Iv'e used DRAW a long time but that is a different way than I've done to do those lines and is a terrific idea.

Thanks for me too.

Another thing I do, armagan, when I am drawing, (not so much now as when I wasn't as familiar with how italic lines should look) is I would do a quick sketch of what I am after with an italic pen or even if you are good at cartooning with a brush and ink, using that. Then I'd choose where to use the widest parts of the italic lines so that my drawing didn't look computer generated. You can even do your drawing and scan in your concept and let CorelDRAW trace it. Or you can draw in PhotoPaint, bring it into DRAW and let DRAW again trace it. There are loads of whays of doing almost anything.

I know that may sound confusing. But it is when you know what you are after, that you can decide which technique will serve you the best. But in that arena, experience, that is: your own experience, is the best teacher.

My recommendation: is to fiddle with all the techniques listed as that way you know what I am talking about.
    Last edited by sallybode; 22 May 2007 at 06:01 PM.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sallybode View Post
    Well, Aunt Betsy

Iv'e used DRAW a long time but that is a different way than I've done to do those lines and is a terrific idea.

Thanks for me too.
    Thanks Sally,

I’ve learned so much from you in the short time that I’ve been on this forum, I actually found my way here through your posts on the Unleashed forum, I’m glad I was able to contribute something. I started using this technique in another vector program (Windows Draw6) that didn’t have anything as sophisticated as the Artistic Media Tool.

armagan,

One of the places the Artistic Media tool shines is applying it to a line or shape that you have already drawn. I just select the line or shape and then select the Artistic Media Tool Presets or Calligraphy tool and then change something like the size or shape in the property bar and it will be applied to the line or shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shapes.png 
Views:	216 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	38195  
    Last edited by Aunt Betsy; 24 May 2007 at 01:33 AM.
    Aunt Betsy
    IP