Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Making a brush.

Default Making a brush.

Hi there!

I'm a total newb, just started using Corel Painter IX, and I'm trying to make myself a decent brush to pain with. I'm used to using Photoshop for this purpose.

What I need is a brush that I can use to easily blend two colors together. I have been using the following settings in Photoshop to create the one brush I use for all painting I do, maybe someone could even find use for it, who knows

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5929/mybrushuj4.jpg

I don't understand how to make this in Painter, it's all very confusing and I don't find the settings to set transparency to pen pressure. If anyone could walk me through this, I'd be a very happy panda. I'm not familiar with the traditional way of painting, and all the brushes seems to act like real oil colors etcetera, and I have no idea how to blend colors together with real paint

Appreciate any help!

Arthemas
    IP

Default Re: Making a brush.

I don't find the settings to set transparency to pen pressure.
    In preferences set up pen tracking, use a heavy pressure stroke so you have some variablity .

Then set the brush opacity expression: to pressure. See attached.
    For blending try a few of the blending brushed, they are ready made just for you.

Make yourself a custom brush pallete and store all your favorite brushes on it for easy access.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	opacity.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	38058  
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 17 May 2007 at 07:32 PM.
    IP

Works great, Mike, thanks a lot for the help!

Now I just have to figure out how to control the softness of the edges of a brush, if that makes any sense. I started to work from an airbrush, but painting with an airbrush gives a little too much.. softness to the thing you're painting. Maybe it's not possible? If not I guess I have to find a premade brush that's sharper, and work with it instead.

Thanks again.
    Arthemas.
    IP

If you want a hard-edged brush variant (brush stroke edges will probably be pixelated):

In the Brush Controls' General palette, change the Subcategory option from Soft Cover to Flat Cover.

If you want a soft edged brush variant:

In the Brush Controls' General palette, change the Subcategory to Soft Cover.

To control the amount of blending you can do with a brush variant that's used to paint color:

In the Brush Controls' Well palette, or on the Property Bar, adjust the Resat/Resaturation and Bleed sliders.

• Resat/Resaturation controls how much color is painted in the brush stroke.
    • Bleed controls how much existing color is picked up and painted along with the current color.

For pure blending, move the Resat/Resaturation slider to 0% and adjust the Bleed slider to somewhere between 50% and 100%.

When blending, it may also help to lower Opacity quite a bit.

Experimenting with brush control adjustments will get you the results you want, so set aside some time to do that.

Cheers!

Last edited by Jinny Brown; 19 May 2007 at 06:16 AM.
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Aye works great, now I have a solid brush to use which is fantastic. Will continue experimenting with the brushes, it was overwhelming at first but now I find it a lot more logical and understandeable. Big, big thanks, both of You!

Sincerely,
    Arthemas
    Last edited by arthemas; 22 May 2007 at 12:01 PM.
    IP