Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Suggestion for B/W Photo Editing

way to go lonnie - and that's a 'quick moderate restore' ?
    think I'll just go quietly back to my doodling....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Wow Lonnie, you know your stuff with PhotoImpact.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by LonK View Post
    I did a quick moderate restore to your photo with PhotoImpact.
    I own Xara software which is how I found out about the TalkGraphics web site.

Boy, am I glad I knew about this site!! I felt confident that the folks here would have helpful suggestions and I definately was right. I have found helpful links along with the direct info from the posts. Now I just have to get / take the time to digest it all.

I was also impressed with the "Proof" of your good work and have downloaded a trial copy of PhotoImpact to look at as well as downloading some of the other suggestions. I have found a copy of PhotoShop6 to use as well. Now I just have to get familiar with the various cababilities of each and determine which will work best for the various situations my photos present.

For PhotoImpact, could you give me a rough idea of the steps you took to produce your image? That might be a good point for me to start from.

Thanks again to all for the ongoing thoughts and ideas!!

Thanks for the props fellas.

Quick moderate restore = less than 1/2 hour and I didn't deal with the texture problem.

I find PhotoImpact quite capable Bill, though I'd prefer PhotoShop if I could afford it ;(

Hi Phurm,

Xara is good 'vector' stuff, but it is not suited to pixel-based photo restoration. If you plan to do this seriously, concentrate on learning PhotoShop. The Internet oozes PS tutorials.

Here's my basic workflow in PI8. First I corrected the tone balance (contrast and luminosity) with curves adjustments. Desaturated to B&W. Then I used the remove noise tool to blot out the dust spots. Clone patched other damaged areas. Next was Neat Image to remove base noise. Duotoned slightly for sepia tint. Lastly I sized it down for posting and sharpened with USM.

The texture can be dealt with during scanning. Basically, you scan twice -- scan, rotate 180, scan again. Blending (overlay) these two will cancel much of the texture shadowing caused by the scanner light source. (There are many other methods.)

Good luck...
    Lonnie

Quote Originally Posted by LonK View Post
    The texture can be dealt with during scanning. Basically, you scan twice -- scan, rotate 180, scan again. Blending (overlay) these two will cancel much of the texture shadowing caused by the scanner light source. (There are many other methods.)
    Would you mind pointing me to some links discussing this issue? I know that my scanning techniques could be better.

For the above method, any hints on how to accurately align the 2 back into one so they overlay properly? I wonder about rotation problems etc.

I mentioned having Xara but meant to say that this is how I became aware of the TalkGraphics site. I am by no means experienced in any graphics software so I definately appreciate any hints on techniques to use at the start rather than stumbling to find them on my own.

I do now have a copy of PhotoShop 6 so I think I will stick with it for now unless a strong reason arises not to.

That certainly is a first-class job Lonk well done.

***** Norman

Lonnie,
    You are the master of photo restoration.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Lonnie's work you should check out his Pixelicious website. If anyone is seriously interested in having old photos restored they should contact Lonnie. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Lonnie, I hope you don't mind this unsolicted plug, but I'm a big fan of your work.

Zee

Here's a link to Lonnie's Pixelicious website.

http://nickelcandy.com/pixelicious/

...and here's another sample of his work from his Pixelicious website.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_restoration.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	38246  

Gee, thanks Zee! I'm flattered...
    Lonnie

I have made an experiment on the photo with Photoshop CS2 as Lonnie mentioned.
    The attached files are some of the results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1Kids3-1b2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	38351   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1Kids3-2 copy.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	38352  

Last edited by ren2980; 30 May 2007 at 01:48 PM.