Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Suggestion for B/W Photo Editing

I am looking for suggestions regarding which photo editing software might be a good choice to use for dealing with the issues to be described.

I inherited a large number of World War 1 B/W photographs taken by my grandfather. I want to get these scanned and edited with the possible idea of publishing them as a local history resource. I have attached 2 images to show what I am dealing with.

My main questions for this post are related to software, but I do know that I have to work on the quality of my scanning process. If anyone has suggestions on that aspect of this project, they would be appreciated as well.

Please look at the image of just the girl's head and notice the white spots, particularly on her lips and forehead. These are nothing that I can remove from the prints I have. They appear to be problems introduced when the prints were made, probably by dust of course. Can any software package automatically do a good job fixing spots like this? I am hoping to automate as much as possible since time will be a major factor for me. Also note in the full photo that there are lots(!) of white spots to deal with, so minimizing manual work would be strongly preferred.

My second problem might be helped by better scanning but I don't think scanning alone will solve it, thus an "automated" solution would be nice here too.

The attached scans don't show it well, but I have many prints where it appears that the silver has migrated to the surface of the print. When holding the print, sections can be seen where dark areas have a very shiny appearance to them. This shininess of course ends up appearing on the scanned images. Does anyone have thoughts on dealing with this issue?

I would like a discussion of the "best" way to go but bear in mind that I also have a funds issue so lower cost will also be a consideration to me in making a final decision.

Any and all comments from you more experienced folks will definitely be appreciated.

TIA

Paul Hurm
    phurm@one.net

Default Re: Suggestion for B/W Photo Editing

What/whereare attachments?

What you need, is an old version of Adobe Photoshop (look for an old Adobe Photoshop 6 version at ebay) and a good book about photo restoration. I would recommend the well known book from Katrin Eismann "Photoshop Restauration & Retouching".

Regards,
    Remi

GimpShop is a PhotoShop clone and has the same features. It's free and supports Linux, Mac and Windows/PC.
    http://gimpshop.blogspot.com/2005/10...-gimpshop.html

Quote Originally Posted by parahandy View Post
    DUH!!!!

At work where I posted from between calls.

I will try to remember to put them up later this morning after I refresh my memory about how to attach images.

Double Duh!!

Paul

-----------------
    PS - Plus, thanks to the others for the replies. I have a copy of PhotoShop 6 I can borrow for testing so will do so and will also take a look at the other suggestions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by parahandy View Post
    Here are the attachments (I hope)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1Kids.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	37954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1KidHead.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	37955  

Hi Paul

Spots removed with smudge tool in gimp - can do similar in photoshop, but I prefer gimp for this.
    However this is not automatic - not sure you could automate this sort of procedure very far and get good results.
    Good news is - it took me only a minute or two to do - you can spend a long time on things like this - this is a 'quick-fix'

http://www.gimp.org/

and [assuming you are Ms windows] http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/ for download and install info

EDIT:
    for comparision I have added one done with the photshop blur tool [right] I find this a bit more fiddly, but you can get results that stand up better on close inspection. [gimp has a blur tool too]

Name:	Test WW1KidHead.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	37960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test WW1Kids.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	37964  

Last edited by handrawn; 15 May 2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: and links
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

A little playing around with XXPro, AAA Multi Filter (auto levels), and PSP7 smudge tool. (I'm not really happy with the mouth; it would take more time. What I did here took less than five minutes, total.)

Name:	_Image1 USE for Xara posts.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	37965  
    -=Bob=-

Like it Bob

heres mine run through OptikVerve Labs plugin and XXpro levels

Name:	test WW1Kids_enhanced.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	37967  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    What you need, is an old version of Adobe Photoshop (look for an old Adobe Photoshop 6 version at ebay) and a good book about photo restoration. I would recommend the well known book from Katrin Eismann "Photoshop Restauration & Retouching".

Regards,
    Remi

First, I looked at the book site and found links that I know are going to help even though I have not had time to properly read them yet.

Second, I know I will have a learning curve but I am definately impressed with what you folks have done with these girl's faces! Particularly the one on the left with the lip problem. I had wondered but now am pretty convinced that her tongue is showing.

I really appreciate the comments from all of you!. I know I have lots of effort ahead of me but I am definately getting some helpful thought.

Thanks all!