Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: What are the Worst features in XPro

LOL!

O.K. The Pen tool doesn't offend me, there's no need to get rid of it, I just don't see the point of duplicating the function. The shape editor draws lines in exactly the same way, with the options set to straightline and cusp jion. Since this still allows you to drag the lines and gives the bezier 'bowtie' handles too, it just seems the better option to me.
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 11 May 2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: ?

Having just bought Xara yesterday, I can't thank you guys enough for the comments on this page. I'd like you to know that you've given me a feeling of profound confidence as I struggle to come to grips with the bloody thing.

I go now to google "inkscape". I may be some time.

Anthony

My pet peeve: rounded corners on rectangles distort when you resize the rectangle.

I would like an option for round corners on polygons to stay round with their original radius when you resize them. This would save a lot of time when making those rounded-corner backgrounds so popular in web designs today.

-Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Rodzo View Post
    Having just bought Xara yesterday, I can't thank you guys enough for the comments on this page. I'd like you to know that you've given me a feeling of profound confidence as I struggle to come to grips with the bloody thing.

I go now to google "inkscape". I may be some time.

Anthony
    Don't despair!! nothing in this life is perfect
    I've always said - if one program could really do everything, we all be in real trouble, especially in the wallet, it's bad enough as it is...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by kismert View Post
    My pet peeve: rounded corners on rectangles distort when you resize the rectangle.

I would like an option for round corners on polygons to stay round with their original radius when you resize them. This would save a lot of time when making those rounded-corner backgrounds so popular in web designs today.

-Ken
    I would have to agree with this one. Also I agree with Egg, on the slicing and navbar tool. I tried the navbar tool a few times and found it difficult to use. Now I prefer to export the images from Xara and use other software for slicing and making the script.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Love this thread. It's actually more important to know what you regards as the worst features, or the ones that bug you most, than just having lists of suggestions for new features.

And so you'll like to know that in the upcoming 3.2 release we've, finally, fixed the 'squashed rounded rectangle' issue. Well mostly. Using the Selector tool to stretch objects should and always will stretch or squash the rounded corners. But now if you use the Rectangle tool to re-size, this will no longer squash the roundedness of the corners.

On alignment issue. I don't mind the dialog at all, although I think many new users miss the point of being able to click in the window and the use of the Ctrl and Shift keys (perhaps add a few word to the display like, "click here if you don't want to use the pulldown menus").

However, to be more intune with current programs, we need assignable short-cut keys to cut down on the time consuming mouse clicks.

Aligning centrally is still a major deficiency. I think Allison Moore will back me up on this one. It needs to have the capability to align relative to the center of an object (the last selected perhaps) rather that the selection box; the current method requires too much fiddling to align an object centrally to a specific location in the drawing area.

In addition, something that other programs don't have, is the ability to Align to a guideline, this would be novel feature for Xpro to boast of and could be very helpful regarding text-frame layout in multi-page documents.
    Last edited by jclements; 12 May 2007 at 02:41 PM.

With regards to the Pen tool. If you're one that doesn't use it, simply by holding the Alt key, you can drag the pen tool button off and release. The unused button will be removed. But the option is still there.

To get it back.
    --> 'Window'
    --> 'Control bars...'
    scrool down and check,
    --> 'Button Palette'
    by holding the 'Alt' key, you can add pen tool and or any other button that appears.

-Bob.
    •Bob

Default Multipage Layout

XPro MultiPage layout lacks in the following:

No master layers.

Can't lock an individual object (so the object isn't moved by accident)

Can't assign layers to specific pages such as first pg, first and last page, page # thru #.

Can not right click for a context menu to insert a page.
    Last edited by jclements; 14 May 2007 at 02:07 PM.

Default Object Editing and Maintenance

No symbols/sprites.
    Very helpful when doing maps, timelines, Weblayouts, etc., where a shape is used repeatedly but later requires to be rescaled or reshaped or have its' gradient fill, transparency, bevel, drop shadow, etc., modified.

No programable "widgets" for template development, such as:
    >today's date (static), current date (automatically updates itself)
    >path, document name, and path and document name.
    >insert a graphic (like a company logo, enable a link to a library and/or the clipart gallery for a specific filename so a logo can easily be retrieved; it could also allow company documents to be automatically updated when logo is updated)

No insertion of a graphic into the text stream so we can easily create custom symbols not found in a font set.
    Last edited by jclements; 14 May 2007 at 02:11 PM.