Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy Transfering Brushes to Painter X

I have been working in Painter 9 for some time and have developed a few brush variants that I like. I have saved them in a specially named brush category.
    Now that I have Painter X it would be nice to transfer them over but can't seem to figure out how. I thought "import brush library" would be the answer but when I look in the "brushes" folder within P9 I can't even see the new brush category that appears in P9. Where does the program save this information?

I am operating on a Mac OSX system.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
    IP

Default Re: Transfering Brushes to Painter X

Hi - This is kinda similar to something I faced on another forum. I'm now running Painter X on Intel OSX (a real treat!) having come from 7 and 9.5 on Windows. I owned 7 and used IX.5 in College. My ex-gilfriend also owned IX.5 so I was able to use hers from time to time too when I needed to...

I experienced quite a few porblems saving out variants, Keyboard settings and even Custom Palettes as for some reason OSX left off the extensions.

But here's something you might try. Why not save out your custom variants to a custom palette (assuming you built them all around standard Corel Brushes that ship with IX) and save the custom palette to your desktop. (If like me you had trouble with the extension just add the .pal back onto the end of whatever name you save the palette as.)

assuming you still have IX (In case you need to save out the set from there) this should work. I tested this one out with Jinny when I tried to upload a revised set of Ryan Church Brushes as used in one of his tutorials and found after some playing around this did the trick. I first got another friend to try importing them on IX.5 on windows having created the palette on Mac and he had no problem once we figured out we had to add back in the extension. I think once you get them back into X you can limport your saved custom palette load each brush from the palette and resave it as a variant....

Hope this helps some....
    Last edited by timpan_ali; 05 May 2007 at 04:18 AM.
    IP

Hi,

The brush category containing your custom brush variants must, along with it's matching name brush category JPG icon image file, be placed in a brush library folder.

Then that brush library must be placed in either the main Painter X application/program folder's Brushes folder or in your Painter X User folder's [Workspace Name] folder (in whichever Workspace you want to use the brush library.

That way, Painter X will be able to find the brush library when you want to load it.

Default path to the Painter X User folder:

Mac - Users > [User Name] > Library > Application Support > Corel > Painter X > [Workspace Name]

Windows - Documents and Settings > [User Name] > Application Data > Corel > Painter X > [Workspace Name]

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Timpan_ali,

Thank you for your suggestions. I gave them a try but got hung up on the "save the custom palette to your desktop". I have no idea on how to do that. Sounds interesting, maybe I am just missing something.

Jinny,

Your information really helped. I was trying to find my brush category in application support but was entering from my hard drive not my "user name". Once I did that... bingo there it was. I moved it into the painter X brushes folder and then reloaded the library. It appeared like magic. Thanks!!!

I have another question.
    There are a lot of brush categories and over half of them I never use. If a person was to create a library with only a half a dozen brush categories or so and load that would that save a lot of memory for the application? Is there any advantage in doing that?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Artthou View Post
    Timpan_ali,

Thank you for your suggestions. I gave them a try but got hung up on the "save the custom palette to your desktop". I have no idea on how to do that. Sounds interesting, maybe I am just missing something.
    1. To create a Custom Palette, first select the brush variant you'll want to use again later and drag either the brush variant icon or its brush category icon onto the Painter screen. (In either case, the brush category icon will appear in the Custom Palette.) Painter will automatically create a new Custom Palette named "Custom 1" (or the next available number).

2. Then you can drag additional brush category icons into that Custom Palette. To make more room for icons, click and drag the lower right corner of the Custom Palette down, and to the right.

3. When you click one of the brush category icons, the brush variant selected when you added the icon to the Custom Palette will again be selected. If you have another brush library loaded, when you click the icon, the associated brush library is again loaded and ready to use, with the appropriate brush variant selected.

4. Use Window > Custom Palettes > Organizer to open the Custom Palette Organizer dialog box where you can rename, delete, export, and import Custom Palettes. It's a good idea to rename your Custom Palette to something more descriptive than "Custom 1". It's also a good idea to Export your Custom Palettes so if you ever need to restore Painter to its installed state, or Uninstall and reinstall Painter, you'll still have your Custom Palettes saved as files and you can use the Import button to get them back into Painter again.

5. If you want to reorder icons in your Custom Palette, first stretch the Custom Palette's lower right corner to make it larger. Then hold down the Shift key and drag the icons, one at a time, to new positions.

6. If you want to delete an icon, hold down the Shift key then click and drag the icon out of the Custom Palette.

Jinny,

Your information really helped. I was trying to find my brush category in application support but was entering from my hard drive not my "user name". Once I did that... bingo there it was. I moved it into the painter X brushes folder and then reloaded the library. It appeared like magic. Thanks!!!
    You're welcome! I'm happy to hear my explanation helped.

I have another question.
    There are a lot of brush categories and over half of them I never use. If a person was to create a library with only a half a dozen brush categories or so and load that would that save a lot of memory for the application? Is there any advantage in doing that?
    I don't know how much memory would be saved, but expect it would be some. However, an easier way to have only the brush categories and brush variants you want to use displayed in the Brush Selector Bar (until you are confident managing Painter's brushes) is to:

1. Use Window > Workspace > Customize Workspace to open the Customize Workspace dialog box.

2. Click the brush library name and in the right panel, you'll see a list of all brush categories in that brush library.

3. Close the eye icons for any brush categories you know you won't be using.

4. Then click the brush category names for the ones you will be using and a list of all brush variants appears in the right panel.

5. Close the eye icons for any brush variants you kinow you won't be using.

6. Click the Done button to close the Customize Workspace dialog box.

7. Now go to the Brush Selector bar and check the shortened lists of brush category names and brush variant names.

8. If you ever want to display brush categories and brush variants that are not now displayed, go to the Customize Workspace dialog box again and click to open their eye icons.
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP