Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: White background on exported logo graphic

If you’re using an older version of IE (not 7) you will see the background on a png. If you need a transparent background for IE you should do a gif. The reason a told you to use Photo Paint is because it has a better export filter. It is part of the CorelDraw suite. If you don’t want to copy and paste you should convert it to a bitmap and then edit it. It will bring up PP to do this. You don’t have to do the object mask although this is just a menu click to do so. You can choose to make the background transparent. It’s just that if you have any of the background color in your logo it will be transparent too. The object mask is a cleaner way of doing it.
    Last edited by Aunt Betsy; 04 May 2007 at 05:46 PM.
    Aunt Betsy
    IP

gif and png have transparency, so it should be possible.
    jpg dosn't - it was designed for photographs.

Just seen Aunt Betsy's post - as I dont have corel draw these days my memory is dated
    Also I'd forgotten IE didn't support png transparency until version 7
    silly old firefox user me.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Going along with what Aunt Betsy said, at the unleash.com site, Jeff Harrison has a little tutorial on how to get a great .png with both CorelDRAW and PhotoPaint. But I would, as Aunt Betsy told you, use PhotoPaint as it does have better filters for bitmap output.

http://www.unleash.com/jeffh/pngfromdraw/index.asp
    Last edited by sallybode; 04 May 2007 at 10:00 PM.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Thank you everyone,

Sally, thank you for the link.

The difficulty I have is that I am not a very skilled corel draw user. I can create what I need and not much else. I haven't used photopaint and therefore much of the advice has, unfortunately, gone right over my head. I also think that jeffh's tutorial is beyond what I am trying to achieve.

Because I am using the logo graphic on my website, and do not know what browser a visitor to the site is using, I need to find a simple way to either create the graphic, or export the graphic, with a transparent background.

Thanks
    Mike
    IP

You can export from Draw as a gif and use the color picker in the dialog box to select your background color as the transparency. If you have any of the background color in your logo it will be transparent too. It will not look as good as a png but you can do it. The gif transarency is the oldest and works in all the browsers that I know of.
    Aunt Betsy
    IP

When you don't know if it will work, if you have a plain solid color background, you could make your background the same color to match your web page. This is what is called "apparent transparency". It has no real transparency but blends perfectly because it has the identical Hex code as the background. It also make a smaller file size as transparent .gifs and .pngs are bigger in size than non-transparent ones of the same height and width.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP