Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Corel Draw 11 - Spell Checker wont work ?

I recently upgraded to Corel 11 from 8. I like alot of the new features but I cannot seem to get spell checker to work. In 8 it would automatically underline a word it thought was misspelled and I could go up to Text - Spell Checker and check all my text..

now it doesnt do any of that. If I manually go to Text - Spell Checker and click it, nothing happens at all...

Under the options/settings the Automatic Spell Checker is selected... so dont know what to do at this point???
    IP

Default Re: Corel Draw 11 - Spell Checker wont work ?

You could go: "Tools /Options" and see what your settings for text are. It could be that somehow the settings for spell checker are disabled.

Holding down F8 on boot resets all defaults to factory. That could help. If you have just installed 11, you should also go to the Corel.com site and download all updates for version 11. The lack of spell check functionality may be a bug in 11. Don't know, went from 10 to 12, never used version 11.

You could also put your original install CD back in and do an custom install and look to see if you can force the spell checker to install, it may not have installed in an express install. It is best with DRAW to tell it a full install except for fonts.

You should also be using Font Manager. Too many resources can be eaten up by too many installed fonts. Font manager only installs a font when you really need it. You can use it to drag one in and it doesn't require a restart to see the font you just installed either.

Reset your number of undos while you are in Tools/Options as I understand in 11 they are set to 99 steps. This eats your memory alive. Set the undos to 20 and a similar or lesser number for bitmap effects. Assign DRAW more RAM while you are in there. And set your scratch disk settings so that you can use your hard drive for virtual RAM when you need it. All of these things might have an impact on a spell checker not working.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Okay, I have done everything here except the font manager and reinstall from my disc. Sorry for ignorance, but what do you mean font manager? I think I have about 1,000 fonts installed btw.

EDIT: 1343 fonts to be exact
    IP

I Googled your problem last night and it may be irrevocable. You are not unique. It appears to be a problem that those who run 11 sometimes run into.

However, setting things up right does help with system resources. Fonts can use a lot of your resources. The purpose of a font manager is to put copies of your fonts in your font folder. That way you don't have to load all that data when you boot up, also they can sap your memory which you need for other things.

There is a great description of how and why to use a font manager. CorelDRAW comes with Bitstream Font Manager. It is worth the time and effort to set it up. As Foster Coburn has done a great job on unleash.com of explaining this, I just recommend you follow his directions and use this marvelous freebie that comes with DRAW. I have it set up both at work and at home. It is just working smarter.

You may also go to the forum at unleash.com and ask Foster if he knows how to solver you spell check program not working in DRAW. It is definitely hard to get Corel to respond to a problem but experienced users are often quite helpful. Foster is one of DRAW's experts. Moreso than me.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP