Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default IMVU Graphic Designer HELP!

i need to download a good graphic disigner
    for imvu
    i dont know what people use to make 3D items but i would like to download whatever they use to start practicing so i can volunteer to be a imvu disigner
    thanks for your help
    also if you make graphics for imvu and good at it
    give me some hints and tips
    slipknotjuggalo@yahoo.com

Default Re: IMVU Graphic Designer HELP!

I suggest you check the IMVU developer section about what is required to create the 3D characters and environment objects.

Some of the 3D environments I'm familiar with use OGRE as the rendering engine. There are plug-ins and command line tools to convert most 3D application's native files to the files required by OGRE. Not that I know IMVU is using OGRE or another rendering engine. I don't use IMVU.

Learning to model objects in any 3D application is something you must devote a lot of time and effort. It is not something you can pickup overnight.

You might want to check out Wings3D or Blender. They are two freeware 3D applications that are very good and are supported with plug-ins for OGRE.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

The IMVU site says this:
    Everything in the IMVU catalog is made by our incredible Developers. IMVU's development tools are available to anyone who wants to make their own 3D products and sell them in the catalog. Want a different color shirt? Want to make a funny ModIcon? Want to make your own 3D scene?! Anything is possible when you become an IMVU Developer.
    So it sounds like you just need to sign up as a developer and then use the toolset they provide.

Regards, Ross

Thumbs up Re: IMVU Graphic Designer HELP!

You will get some information if you sign up as an IMVU developer. First you have to have a registered avatar name (not just free guest Id.) When you sign up you will be shown a number of levels of developer to chose from and descriptions of those. When you finally download the "previewer" which is a software tool IMVU gives you, there is a note betrween the Download heading and the Download button, all in an orange backgro8und, that eads,
    "Please click the button below to download the Previewer.

"Once downloaded, double click on the brick balloon icon on your desktop to install the Previewer. During the installation process, you will be prompted to supply locations for our exporters. If you are a 3DS MAX user, please choose to place the exporters in your MAX7 directory. At this time, the exporters do not work for MAX8 or higher" (bolded and colored by me.)

So I guess one good 3D program would be 3D Studio Max (version 7 only, it says higher versions do not work.) But it does not say you cannot use other programs. Maybe POSER would work too, I don't know. They are both on my wish list. But they will cost money, so you might want to try the suggestions elsewhere in this thread. You might be able to ask one of the developers with products you like from the catalog, what they used. For 3D I would look for products like avatars or 3D scenes, rooms, clothing etc. and ask those developers. Someone that just put up a sticker could only be using a paint program....

FYI, you can look around for deriveable items in IMVU's catalog and derive from them as well. When you see an item in catalog, look for a text link showing "Derived from" and the link. Usually there will be a link to the item it was derived from, and that will still be derivable so you might want to consider using it to start. On the item you were first looking at in the catalog, look to left of what it was derived from, to see if it is - or is not - derivable, itself. Watch for restrictions on some, like developer Cassopaeia (I think I spelled that right, from memory) has some comments that when you derive for eample one of her dresses it has to be for use with her stuff. Actually first you should check out the really good tutorial made by developer mary22 which you can see at www immortal-doll dot com (trying to avoid a link in my first post since registering). Click the tutorials link in upper left. The first one is named Developing Basics....

Good luck. Have you already started? Let us know....

Dan
    Last edited by dandempsey; 13 June 2007 at 10:19 AM.

I am a dev for IMVU but as of yet I don't actualy mesh, I only retexture meshes that other people have alreay created. I have had a go trying to mesh for IMVU and I found it a bit complex trying to export it, this is mainly because it has to be exported into a file called Cal3D.

I know that the free software "google scetch-up" doe allow you to export to IMVU if you export it as somethingorother 4 (sorry if thats not very specific but all I can remember is that you can export it into 2 thing and the one that works has a 4 on the end lol). scetch up isnt actualy that good for meshing anyway as it is EXTEMLY basic. you may find this link usefull "http://www.imvu.com/catalog/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpbb2&file=viewtopic. php&t=38449&highlight=making+beat+boxes"

I have also heard that blender can export into Cal3D if you can get the script working for it, I have tryed and as yet I havn't managed it. (I am actualy not that fantastic with computers). you may find this link usefull "http://www.imvu.com/catalog/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpbb2&file=viewtopic. php&t=14052&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0"

I know for a fact that 3D studio max does export into Cal3D but if you google it and look up the price you will understand why that is not at the top of this list.