Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Thumbs up Re: IMVU Graphic Designer HELP!

You will get some information if you sign up as an IMVU developer. First you have to have a registered avatar name (not just free guest Id.) When you sign up you will be shown a number of levels of developer to chose from and descriptions of those. When you finally download the "previewer" which is a software tool IMVU gives you, there is a note betrween the Download heading and the Download button, all in an orange backgro8und, that eads,
    "Please click the button below to download the Previewer.

"Once downloaded, double click on the brick balloon icon on your desktop to install the Previewer. During the installation process, you will be prompted to supply locations for our exporters. If you are a 3DS MAX user, please choose to place the exporters in your MAX7 directory. At this time, the exporters do not work for MAX8 or higher" (bolded and colored by me.)

So I guess one good 3D program would be 3D Studio Max (version 7 only, it says higher versions do not work.) But it does not say you cannot use other programs. Maybe POSER would work too, I don't know. They are both on my wish list. But they will cost money, so you might want to try the suggestions elsewhere in this thread. You might be able to ask one of the developers with products you like from the catalog, what they used. For 3D I would look for products like avatars or 3D scenes, rooms, clothing etc. and ask those developers. Someone that just put up a sticker could only be using a paint program....

FYI, you can look around for deriveable items in IMVU's catalog and derive from them as well. When you see an item in catalog, look for a text link showing "Derived from" and the link. Usually there will be a link to the item it was derived from, and that will still be derivable so you might want to consider using it to start. On the item you were first looking at in the catalog, look to left of what it was derived from, to see if it is - or is not - derivable, itself. Watch for restrictions on some, like developer Cassopaeia (I think I spelled that right, from memory) has some comments that when you derive for eample one of her dresses it has to be for use with her stuff. Actually first you should check out the really good tutorial made by developer mary22 which you can see at www immortal-doll dot com (trying to avoid a link in my first post since registering). Click the tutorials link in upper left. The first one is named Developing Basics....

Good luck. Have you already started? Let us know....

Dan
    Last edited by dandempsey; 13 June 2007 at 09:19 AM.