Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default New user needs help

I recently bought a copy of Xara 3D, which I am trying to learn to use with some very slow success, and with it I received a free copy of Webster. I've never worked with graphics of any kind so I am pretty much lost in anything I try to do. I've tried to read the help files but none of it is making sense to me. I have a .bmp image that I need to remove the text and replace it with new text, is that possible with Webster and if so how would I do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Default Re: New user needs help

Hi... and welcome to TalkGraphics.

This thread will be useful to you: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...=vector+raster

Looks for the bits which talk about the difference between vector (shape) and raster/bitmap graphics. Your BMP file is a bitmap, and Webster is a vector graphic tool.

If your bmp is simple it is better to draw it again in Webster. This will also be more use to you in X3D.

Hope this helps!
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I need to remove the text and replace it with new text, is that possible with Webster
    Maybe you can cover the bitmap text with a vector object that matches the background color to hide it, then add the new text on top.

I don't know anything about webster software. Is it like mini Xara ?

Thanks for the replies. I don't really know anything about Webster truthfully, I just got it and I don't have a clue how to do anything with it. Not that I'm giving up or anything lol but is there a place in this forum or do you know of anyone that would be willing to fix it for me. I appreciate your responses, thanks.
    Last edited by heart; 08 June 2007 at 07:48 PM.

Webster is "Rupert", the retarded little brother, of xara2 I think. Although Charles never liked me using that description of it. It can export web graphics and creates .xar files. I installed it once and it stole the .xar definition from xara X1 (clicking on a .xar file opened webster instead of xara, so I uninstalled it)

It should work fine for web work, but I wouldn't try using it for anything Xtreme or Xtreme Pro does. What version of X3d do you have? Most likely 4 or 5.
    Last edited by raynerj1; 09 June 2007 at 07:00 AM.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I don't really know anything about Webster truthfully, I just got it and I don't have a clue how to do anything with it. Not that I'm giving up or anything lol but is there a place in this forum or do you know of anyone that would be willing to fix it for me. I appreciate your responses, thanks.
    I'm sure that the people here can help, but we prefer to help you to be able to do it yourself , if possible. You'll need to post the graphic on the forum or explain exactly what the graphic looks like and what you need to do.

We are on your side.

Paul

I have Xara3D6, I'd love to learn to do it myself. I am a complete novice to any graphic work, I found Xara while surfing and just purchased it a month or so ago. The .bmp file is for a boat decal for a fishing club, what I'd like to do is to replace the text that is on it with the text ... North Georgia E-Power Club or N.Georgia E-Power Club. I have no idea how to begin but I'm willing to learn. I'm including the file with this reply, thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is a fairly easy job to replace the text (see pic below for a rough idea) BUT do you have the permission of the owner of the graphic to use/modify it? - because of the possible copyright issue I added the warning text across the fish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bass3.png 
Views:	207 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	38670  

I'm really not sure where he got the image, I'll have to ask. Thanks for the reply though

He did not have copyright permission on the image so I am going to try to put an image together for him. I've created a shield with the text on it (the name of the club changed since I asked for help before) and I have a bass clipart image that I'd like to put in the center of the shield. I'm not sure how to get the bass image on the shield, not sure if webster can do that. Also, I'd like to remove the background from the shield, if I change the format to a .gif I was able to make the background transparent but then the edges of the shield look distorted, is there a way to remove the background without changing the quality of the image?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goldshield.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	39127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	largemouth220.gif 
Views:	187 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	39128  

Last edited by heart; 21 June 2007 at 01:15 AM.