Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Am I on the right track?

This is my fourth attempt at a face. I think I'm improving but my frustration comes from getting the eye's, nose & mouth right.
    What I am wanting to achieve is simplicity above all else. But the character has to LOOK LIKE the person I'm drawing. I find it all too easy to get caught up in complexity and while I admire artists who can make hair look like - well hair, this is not what I want. The face has to be what draws the eye rather that detailed clothing and hair. Same with shadows, I can easily get caught up with highlights and shadows ending up with a real dogs breakfast.. I actually like the Japanese Manga/Anime style of simplicity yet I'm looking for recognition too (haha - that sounded wrong. Not recognition of talents, or lack thereof - lol... I mean a viewer has to recognise the person from the artwork).

That aside I'd appreciate a little feedback and perhaps some insight from other xartists who can draw (in particular) mouths (nice lips'n'teeth) realistically with just a few deft strokes

Be kind now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	melanie.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	37539  
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 30 April 2007 at 09:15 AM. Reason: rephrase

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: Am I on the right track?

I really like the style and the likeness is good. Looking at it I'd suggest the part that needs more work is the shape of the mouth. In your version you've simplified the mouth-related curves a little too much and you're missing out on the expressive nature those subtle curves bring to the photograph of the girl. I agree that simple 'deft strokes' are important in your style -- its just, as you know, its the shape of those 'deft strokes' that really counts.

Inspiring work --- thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards, Ross

Got to agree with Ross here, thats a very good style and likeness.
    As for expression, that's mostly eyes, mouth and posture - the eyes and posture are more or less spot on, but the mouth gives to me the impression of just a slight tinge of anxiety/nervousness, rather than a happy smile - the shape is too rigid.
    Ross has covered that too, so I can only add great drawing, and thanks again for sharing
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Very good likeness.

I think the pure white of the teeth is what is making the mouth look wrong.

The teeth reflect the colours of the surrounding tissues.

The attached image simply has a shape of the open mouth and the colour of the lightest square you have below the drawing. A flat 50% transparency was applied.

This made the teeth less bright but closer to that in the photo.

Name:	melanie2.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	37540  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

This is what I do when I am preparing a photo to turn it into vectors via tracing. It really easy to do if you have PS.
    http://www.layersmagazine.com/poster...photoshop.html
    Design is thinking made visual.

I think that your drawing is very good. I agree with Bill that the teeth in your drawing seemed to stand out a bit and maybe too bright.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Thanks to you all.

You've given me idea's and worthwhile considerations, I just hope that I can return some help in time.

Albacores' posterization prep for tracing is a good though my only problem with this method is that a) it requires additional steps and software (I'm lazy..) and b) while making the choosing of a tracing region somewhat easier it removes some of the artists perception of and minds eye rendintion of the subject (aka: choice)

I've often used DCE Tools autoenhance (below left) to get an effect (like water colour) which would be useful for photo (hand) tracing prep as it better describes areas for tracing. Even Xero's Simplicty Filter (below right) results in a similar effect to that of posterization (though retains the natural colours)

I think they eyes are the most recognizable features of the human face and need to be the most accurate, altering the eyes changes our perception of the entire face (after all, that's how Lois never twigs that Clark is really Superman wearing glasses right) <grin>

The mouth is second on my list of important facial features, so these areas I will concentrate on the most I think. I have found there are some great video tutorials available via youtube, a great resource (albeit somewhat humbling..)

Name:	autoenhance.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	37570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xero_simplicity.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	37571  

i have some suggestions. when you made those black lines especially near the mouth, why not just made it a darker skin color instead of black? see what results! maybe even add more lines with the similar look! play with line thickness

RonC

Quote Originally Posted by rpc9943 View Post
    i have some suggestions. when you made those black lines especially near the mouth, why not just made it a darker skin color instead of black? see what results! maybe even add more lines with the similar look! play with line thickness

RonC
    Good suggestion and one that actually I've played with a little in fact. My problem there is I'm never really happy with skin coloured lines. I think this might be because I'm not trying to create a photo (near perfect) copy but rather want it to be imediately seen that it's an illustration though the subject is still recognizable. Black lines seem to satisfy me more..

The Japanese Manga (comic) style is something like I want - but with my own style of course.

Example of one Manga Style (and there are many styles)
    http://www.sunshinebreakdown.net/ben...ics/nana00.jpg

Perhaps something like this?
    Did not do the hair very well, I admit. It was just a quickie attempt, and doing manga style hair is not easy. But perhaps it would give you some new ideas. I used a liberal amount of "artistic freedom" on the eyebrows. But I think that's the missing element. Idealize and flatter your subject.

Name:	melanie1.gif 
Views:	265 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	37636