Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Latest news

Default Re: Latest news

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
    Lots of fun toys to play with in Inkscape, it's just that interface I need to come to terms with...
    If you have any specific suggestions for interface improvements I'm sure the Inkscape developers would like to hear them. They certainly spend a good deal of time thinking about how to optimize the interface so that it is easy for inexperienced users as well as efficient for the old pros. I may be wrong but I seem to recall that some of Inkscape' original UI design was inspired by Xara too. In any case, filing a Feature Request or posting to one of the mailing lists would probably be the best way to raise your concerns.

P.S. If you can't wait for 0.46, which is going to be very nice, you can get development builds for Windows here:
    http://inkscape.modevia.com/win32/?M=D
    They are typically completely usable for day to day work, although some things, particularly new features, may change significantly from build to build.

Best,
    Jed

Quote Originally Posted by jedfrechette View Post
    P.S. If you can't wait for 0.46, which is going to be very nice, you can get development builds for Windows here:
    http://inkscape.modevia.com/win32/?M=D
    They are typically completely usable for day to day work, although some things, particularly new features, may change significantly from build to build.

Best,
    I have had few problems with the development builds to date - once I beat my illustrator over the head and told it not to hog svg, which was preventing the inkscape from opening/saving correctly.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Jed, I'll wait. I'm not the most technically minded LOL!

And when I've had a play with a stable build I'll be better placed to make suggestions.

i have stayed away from this thread and watched it grow for a bit before returning

Xara DOES need a UI overhaul. The docking feature is not a very graceful solution. Nested/tabbed toolbars/galleries i think, are needed. Certainly, Xara's configurable toolbars are the best around (as far as I know) but I need too many open at the same time, though I can only employ ONE at a time... nesting collapsible toobars in a toolbar gallery would make it easier to select them as needed without cluttering the screen.

InkScape has a fundamental difficulty in adhering so rigidly to the GTK standard which lacks certain features (such as fractal or multipoint fills/transparency) that make Xara so powerful. But, it has some features that make it almost indispensable to my arsenal of tools, even if I use it far less than Xara.

as for vector/bitmap crossover, I like the approach that DeepPaint took in merging image editing and painting, creating a standalone module AND a separate PS plugin version. This allowed them to focus on PAINT and not on the many other aspects of image editing, even critical ones such as layers. I can use the small and quick program alone or, for more complicated projects, plug it in to GIMP (via the PSPI plugin) and get all the features I need there, shipping image elements back and forth.

a great discussion going here.

geo.

Geo

can you expand on what you mean by inkscape not doing multipoint fills/transparency - are we talking here about stained glass transparency and the like?

Deep paint plugs into gimp does it - never knew that - never got on with it as a stand alone
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

hi,

Talking about deeppaint,did you know that if you make the plugin for PS,
    you also can import it into Xara,under live FX
    And when using DP you can use other filters which needs a selection tool and bring it back into Xara(with transparenty)

Gr,Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    Good point/fair comment. I was hyperventilating so much when I wrote the above that this point didn't make it in, even though I had intended to make it. I've had a chance to try MPC and am neither impressed nor unimpressed with it... It's a lot heavier than XPE, though, and I certainly hope that it is tweaked before shipping as part of Xara Xtreme...
    Actually kind of like the image editor, not my fav but I did have some good output from it recently so I can't complain.

I don't, however, relish the Xara interface being updated to the point of having to start from scratch. I doubt that's the avenue MAGIX will take Xara with Charles at the helm still but you never know!! Keeping an open mind!

I tried out the Music Manager 2007 app and it's *OK*. Claims it can sync with my iPod but I kept getting error messages when I would attempt that. So I *hope* that this is not a reflection of what's to come for Xara. Perhaps I misinterpreted the info on it's ability to sync with an iPod.... I don't think so though, I read and re read that info..... Oh well. I have iTunes, it's fine!!

In closing I will say that we are fortunate to have Charles at the helm as he has produced a really great product over the years and I know he will continue to play a role in it's ongoing development. I hope that he can keep it steered in the right direction and not have his hand forced to take it into one that is similar like PhotoImpact. That was a good program in it's day but now... it's another glorified Swiss Army Knife image editor. Xara is a Vector program FIRST and I hope that remains it's strong suit!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I'm currently hovering over the "pay" button on another browser tab... pay for Xtreme Pro upgrade. I've gone Adobe CS2 some time ago, but can't draw freely with Illustrator so I've been still using Xara and exporting via Illu to InDesign etc. Now I'm thinking that I could do simpler stuff in Xara Pro, but could someone answer these:

- how is the new Magix deal affecting the future of Pro? I know Magix sells Samplitude, which is a very professional sequencer, but they also sell toy programs... which one will Xara Pro be?

- how is Xara Linux doing? I'm going cross platform this summer.

- does psd / pdf import export work in a professional workflow - can I use Xara Pro directly for print-ready pdfs?

thanks!

.jon

Hi Jon,

If your at all wanting to see the open source continue (ie: Linux and Mac versions of Xara) then get over to the appropriate forums here at talk graphics and speak up. As it is there has been less than favorable support coming from the "community" the very one that was head over heals for this to happen. It would be a shame to see the open sourse version come to a halt with little or no further development!

No one knows for sure what's really in store for Xara until the merger comes to full fruition, ie: released updated versions of Xara and Xara Pro with the MAGIC stuff integrated. Charles has made it clear that we need not worry, it's going to be fine but you know... seeing is believing!! LOL

PSD and PDF in the Pro version is substantially better than the regular version of Xara. I use it quite a bit and am quite happy. Layers are kept in tact in and in the PDF vector objects are still fully editable. So you could send a version of a Xara file you've created in a PDF to another user and they would be able to open it up in XPro and edit it further. It also comes in handy for print and other uses (I've found).

I'm no print expert so I'm not sure what your meaning by "print ready" pdf!

Hope that answers some of your inquiries!

All the best
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Steve,

yes, there is a GIMP plugin called PSPI (PhotoShop PlugIn) that lets GIMP employ most ps plugis, including DeepPaint, which I have tested.