Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest news

Default Re: Latest news

If it fixes bugs from former versions, what choice do you have?
    Unless bugfixes are given seperately too.
    I have no problem paying for serious upgrades, but not if I very recently
    purchased the newest version

Exactly.

As to skipping upgrades, once I find software that I like and come to depend on, I tend to get most if not all upgrades so I have all the tools to work with and stay current with tutorials, etc.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

It's a per user evaluation and decision really.
    I haven't found it necessary to upgrade at all from Xara X1. The bugs that are fixed aren't relevant in my case. And I don't need Live effects. I'm doing vector work, I don't wanna create a fuzzy looking shape

Though in the end, it depends on how most users feel about this matter. If it's unacceptable, maybe they'll adapt the upgrade frequence.

Where does it say that Xtreme will be updated each 6 months BTW?

Updates to products are welcome as they primarily address bugs and errors in the current version of a product. These tend to be provided free of charge for those users with a current licence. Paid upgrades are a different kettle of fish. They tend to offer significant new features. It's not clear in this case whether a paid upgrade is justified for Xara Xtreme/Pro. We'll really have to wait and see exactly what arrives on release day.

I'm already on record in this thread as being a bit horrified by the prospect of paying within five months of purchasing Pro, but will wait to see what the new version has to offer before I get worked up about it (again ).

"They should focus on vector only and improve the exports and imports."

Yup, f'sho.

and, as Alien suggests, any 'upgrade' that does not involve increased vector drawing features is one I can skip... I still use X1 too.

I am still hoping for a version of XX that has SVG im/export and improved EPS im/export. the ability to exchange and USE the images that i create are important. SVG for web graphics is going to be very important very soon.

a good bitmap editor is a good thing to have, particularly if it integrates with Xara, but it is not terribly needed.

for page layout, i use a page layout program.

Xara is morphing into a vector drawing, bitmap editing, gif animating, flash generating, etc, etc, page layout program. I just wanna draw and get my drawings into a format that I can use.

geo.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoBen View Post
    Xara is morphing into a vector drawing, bitmap editing, gif animating, flash generating, etc, etc, page layout program. I just wanna draw and get my drawings into a format that I can use.

geo.
    Thatīs a nightmare! I donīt want to think about it until i see what the new Xara Xtreme Pro is all about.
    I really donīt care if the regular xtreme version become bloated with lots of features for bit map editing/gif, flash animation etc for the average user (it will help to spread the user base). But i really hope that the PRO version remains a top noch vector application ONLY, with some page layout capabilities (for flyers, brochures etc).
    Last edited by MEB; 02 May 2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: typo

Perhaps a modular approach would be the best route?

With Xtreme pro as the core app, other functions could be added as needed by the user. It beats trying to be 'all things to all users'.

To some small extent Xara is already going this route, focused applications with simple to use u.i.s and easy to move between, but they have yet to add something to attract the bulk of bitmap artists.

I for one (bitmap artist) would be happy with a kick-ass vector program, but it would need just a little more than Xtreme has right now.

Xtreme is excellent, but not perfect and must keep moving forward, the question is in what direction? I'm hoping we get some idea of that soon.

Let's not get too nervous over what Xara is morphing into, because it is .already. all of what was just mentioned, and it's still a small package. So we're already there. Xara contains all those functionalities mentioned above, and it's not exactly slow at all. I think software design is the key. Other programs that do what Xara does ( albeit incompletely and not as elegantly ) are slow and clunky, with an installer 5x the size, but with not 5x the features.

Magix can throw in the a best subset of their winninf features, but I think that the design-- how they are deisgned in to retain Xara's famous speed-- that will be the key. Xara has all these features already, adding a few more, with Xara's great coding, not necessarily Magix's coding ( no offense, but I've considered magix bloatware compared to Xara even before, that's just the way it is-- all codeing is not equal... ) should not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoBen View Post
    I am still hoping for a version of XX that has SVG im/export and improved EPS im/export. the ability to exchange and USE the images that i create are important.
    <--clipped-->
    I just wanna draw and get my drawings into a format that I can use.
    +1
    Jed

I for one (bitmap artist) would be happy with a kick-ass vector program,
    I am a bitmap person, learning vector and so far, XXP wins my vote for that. It DOES exceed XX with new exporting options that made finally my printer not grunt and roll his eyes at what he was given. (THANKS XARA!).
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

I too am a bitmap artist that uses vectors, rather than the other way round, and xara is my vector program - together with inkscape they do all I need.
    It will take some serious new features to make me part with cash to upgrade - say enhancements to brushes or vector fills, but not messing about with bitmap features that I prefer to do elsewhere.
    I hardly ever use xpe - and as for the magix photo clinic, nice program though it is, compared to a real pixel editor its still in kindergarten.
    I really can't see worthwhile new features for pro arriving in the near future - look at the time scale - unless of course they've been in the pipeline for a while...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...