Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Using customers to de-bug final release software

Like most people, I have one or two favourite applications. Whilst searching the interweb for related info on one of them, I came across a comment from a user who was basically criticising the developers for treating their customers as a "software development club" (or some such phrase). Meaning that the company was releasing buggy software and using it's customers as "beta testers", even though the software was a final release.

Now, this particular software IMHO is very slick and the developer is extremely rapid and efficient in providing frequent updates in reaction to user bug reports. Also, they are very open to wish lists and requests for features, often incorporating the more desirable ones in a next release.

Most software has bugs and I believe that most software companies rely on their user base, to a certain extent, to help iron out these bugs and good software is always in development, anyway. However, you could say that some developers, smaller companies I imagine, seem to rely more heavily on their customers to test their software.

This got me to thinking whether I appreciate being involved in the development of an application, or do I feel as though the developers are taking advantage of me (politely phrased), considering I've already coughed up a significant sum to buy some working software? You see, I don't buy the "software is complex and difficult" line - so's de-worming my cat, but you don't hear me wingeing about it!

Anyhoo, unsurprisingly, there appears to be no easy answer. Computers and software can be emotive subjects, just look at the Mac v PC debate or the Xara versus "Anything Else On The Planet" discussions we regularly encounter on this fine forum (OK, that last one's a no brainer ).

For me, I think it comes down to how innovative the software is, how much better than the competition and my perception of the developers. I suppose we all like an underdog, who against all odds beats the big boys at their own game and I, for one, don't mind giving such enterprises a helping hand (within reason) in producing a superior product. It's symbiotic, we both get something out of the relationship.

However, it should, at all times, be remembered that one is dealing with a business.

Does anyone else have any feelings on this subject?
    -- Bob

Default Re: Using customers to de-bug final release software

Hi, Stratocast...

I have frequently served as a Beta tester for various software packages.

Generally, companies have asked for volunteers, and I actually think it is a fun thing to do.

Who better than actual users to push the limits on what software can do? We are constantly trying to make our favorite programs do more than the designers intended.

I think this is a very good way for companies to get input on how they can continue to make their software better and better.
    ---
    Will

Software developers and Beta testers do try to find all bugs, but unfortunately some bugs are very good at hiding until the program is released to the public.

Everyone that uses a program can potentially find a bug. If they report the bug and it can be duplicated then it can be corrected.

The person that was criticising the developers was probably upset about losing some work, which is understandable. However that person should also realise that software is like everything else in the universe. Nothing is perfect.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Once it is released, software is subjected to all kinds of odd combinations of commands & circumstances, not to mention unusual hardware systems and unique mixes of installed software. Lots of users have unique ways of doing things that could not have been foreseen by the developers. It is unrealistic to expect final-release software not to have bugs. Of course it is a judgement call by the developers to balance the outstanding known bugs against how many users will be affected by them. As we all know some developers are willing to release software that is quite buggy, while others withhold new releases unbearably long between versions.

While we'd all like the software we use to not have bugs, the reality is we have to learn to work around them and not get too frustrated. Thankfully in this age of the internet there is is more communication than ever between users. Now we can go to forums like this one, learn about bugs, and various work-arounds.

Regards, Ross

Boy does this subject take me back. Back to the days when I was a software developer. Of course, in those days we were referred to as programmers or even worse, "coders". And we were held in high esteem too, as our managers would often remind us that "Coders are a dime a dozen". Ahh, the good old days.

It's important to understand the life cycle of software projects in trying to understand why the software may not always be the optimum when delivered. Here's the way I remember it (it's my story and I'm sticking to it).

A project comes down from on high to an IT manager. The manager gives it to a project lead who is to derive how long he or she thinks it will take. The project leader comes back and states that it will take 3 to 6 months. "OK," says the manager, "3 months it is." The deadline is now set.

Now the project leader divides up the work and assigns them to the programmers and tells them that they have 2 months to get everything running so the testers will have time to find the bugs.

The programmers then do what programmers do. Load up on Yoohoo, diet coke and anything else they can find with caffeine. Then of course they will have to eat, so Twinkies, Ho-Hos, doughnuts, pizza and chips are stashed away in mass quantities (potheads have nothing on us programmers). Sleep is for the weak.

Coding begins, at a very fast rate I might add, and the digits fly. After 2 months the coding is done and the testing begins. Unfortunately the testers aren't loaded up on caffeine or are not on a sugar rush, so by the time they find some errors we programmers have lost interest and are ready for some other challenge. So by the time of the "deadline" the code may have a few things that aren't quite right. But that is why we invented "enhancements".

Well, maybe it happened a little bit different than that, but after all that, my mind just isn't as sharp as it o.............
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by stratocast View Post
    Does anyone else have any feelings on this subject?
    Yes ofcourse, Most bugs should be taken out before release, but some
    bugs will always turn up later, just because computers are such modular things and because of that the mix in your computer may play
    a part in this. The thing is, what is more annoying, is companies who are so big that they just don`t really care about some bugs. And those bugs remain
    in the program from te beginning until a newer version comes out which you have to buy an upgrade for, only to find that the bug still is in the software.
    (like a videoprogram I have, didn`t upgrade anymore, once bitten.....)
    So I do mind if there are too many bugs, and when bugs don`t get adressed at all.
    be aware, not to become a ware.