Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Norton Internet Security Problem

Has anyone exerienced this serious problem?
    I upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2007 the other day.
    Added the free add on pack, enabled ad-blocking, pop up blocking, and norton
    community watch. All seemed fine till I realized that one of my annimated gif
    files was not displaying on my website. And the link was missing.
    No empty box, no link indicator, nothing! This is very disturbing to me especially since it was the about us animated gif
    I unchecked the 3 add on pack features above and the problem went away. So webmasters BEWARE - something fishy is going on. Since I cant advise everyone in the world to uncheck these features, I am going to have to think about redesigning my websites, clients websites and any future websites that I create
    Can anyone please shed some light on this for me!

Default Re: Norton Internet Security Problem

Quote Originally Posted by aridzone View Post
    Has anyone exerienced this serious problem?
    !
    Not this one
    But I gave up on Norton long ago - too complicated - too 'clever' - too much of a memory hog.
    I use Pandasoftware.
    Be interesting to know how many people do use Norton, my neck of the woods its mostly McAfee, or AVG.
    Be also interesting to see if other av's do the same.
    May just be a setting somewhere, Norton as I recall has too many for it's own good.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Handrawn

McAfee was my first virus protection, then I switched to PC Cillin, then I bought a new computer and it came with Norton installed. So as McAfee
    came with earlier versions of Microsoft, Norton might get just as popular.
    I figured I'd give it a try - I liked the free trial and it gets great reviews. But this not displaying some gif files really blows me away! What will we have to deal with next?

Hi

I know people I work with who use Norton and say its ok.
    Thing is we live now in an environment of automatic protection.
    Panda for example does heuristic analysis of processes running in the background which it calls 'protection against unknown threats'. Its good but sometimes it blocks something legitimate.
    It must be a real pain trying to get a website to work properly with all the variables there are in the equation - you have my sympathy.

My site is basic and for clients only - looks like the proverbial pigs ear, but its only there for the artwork - and I trust my clients
    Nothing lasts forever...

Norton has been around longer than McAfee and AVG combined. Norton Tools was available for DOS long before Windows existed.

The antivirus funtions are not causing the animated gif not to show, it is a setting within the add on pack. I would suggest checking the settings within the Ad-Blocking. Many Adverts use animated gifs and/or Flash files so the blocking feature looks for those type of files when the website opens and blocks them from ever reaching the browser.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sorry Bill
    I will hold up my hand as guilty - I do not like Norton.
    I do not really like MS windows - but I'm stuck with it.
    Yes Norton has been around since the days of DOS - this is a good thing?
    I think not- because it has just sprawled like windows and other applications we could mention, struggling to get into the 21st centuary - in a nutshell its bloatware IMO.
    Like I said in my first post, and as you have said - its a setting somewhere and ad-blocking is a good place to look.
    But ad blocking doesn't belong in a security system - it belongs in a browser as addon IMO [once again].
    Ads are not a security risk -merely a bore if you don't want them.
    And I sorta inferred from what aridzone said that it was just one of his gifs that was blocked and not all of them [?].
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Bill

Your right it is the ad blocking. It happens when I just check that also
    Knowing what it is doen't make me feel any better.
    How many millions of users are just going to check those 3 options like I did and NEVER know that they are not displaying the webpage as intended!
    I don't think I will ever be able to use gif files again

Yo
    so it would be much better to have the ad blocking in the browser and be able to quickly toggle on off as you can in FFox with the right addons.
    Security and customisation are not the same thing.
    I could get boring on this topic
    Sorry
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Steve,

I don't like what Symantec has made Norton into since they bought it years ago. I don't use anything but the antivirus from them.

To make a long story short, McAfee's servers were too underpowered to properly provide updates to all their subscribers so I switched back to Symantec antivirus about 5 years ago. Only I use the corporate edition which isn't the resource hog their consumer product has become.

You are not alone not liking Windows, although I personally have no problems with it. I have a similar opinion about Apple products. Probably neither is fully rational.

People complain about windows having to be rebooted and hang ups. I had a Windows NT 4.0 Server that ran 24/7 for 10 years until the drive controller failed. It was a hardware failure and not the OS.

I haven't had a Linux server work that long without a reboot.

Aridzone, knowing what causes the problem is the only way to avoid the problem. Blame the people that put excessive adverts on websites
    I use IE7's pop-up blocker and Symantec antivirus with adware and spyware protection. The other internet security is overkill in my opinion.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Sorry Bill
    I will hold up my hand as guilty - I do not like Norton.
    I do not really like MS windows - but I'm stuck with it.
    Yes Norton has been around since the days of DOS - this is a good thing?
    I think not- because it has just sprawled like windows and other applications we could mention, struggling to get into the 21st centuary - in a nutshell its bloatware IMO.
    Like I said in my first post, and as you have said - its a setting somewhere and ad-blocking is a good place to look.
    But ad blocking doesn't belong in a security system - it belongs in a browser as addon IMO [once again].
    Ads are not a security risk -merely a bore if you don't want them.
    And I sorta inferred from what aridzone said that it was just one of his gifs that was blocked and not all of them [?].
    I agree 100% Steve, back in the (good old?) DOS days Norton Utilities was a suite of small programs that were small mostly stand alone and above all THEY WORKED. I think things went downhill about the time Peter Norton sold the company now as you say they are bloatware. I run AVG professional and find it very effective.