Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: help with patterns

[see next post]
    Last edited by handrawn; 23 April 2007 at 02:39 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

EDIT: I reckon its something to do with workspaces and thats as far as I can go at present
    Last edited by handrawn; 23 April 2007 at 02:51 PM. Reason: there is aproblem here of sorts but I dont know what it is
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Have to say I probably agree with handrawn here - I have noticed horror stories on the WIndows version of Painter IX.5 which a friend of mine has. I recently bought version X for Mac and though it has one or two bugs this is definitely not one on my Intel.

No problem at all to define a pattern and save it as a capture nor indeed to create or define a pattern. No problem saving out the Library either.

Have you tried to ininstall or reinstall the app? or if running Windows cleaning the registry? You may be running Vista which already is known to have issues wih certain software - iTunes recently was highlighted as one such.
    IP

Jinny,
    Thank you so much for all the time and energy you put into addressing the questions posted in this forum! Your generosity is greatly appreciated!
    - Andrew
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by AndFarr View Post
    Jinny,
    Thank you so much for all the time and energy you put into addressing the questions posted in this forum! Your generosity is greatly appreciated!
    - Andrew
    second that - many thanks Jinny
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Andrew and Steve,

You're welcome, and thanks for the appreciation.
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

I wanted to add that I am also having problems creating a custom pattern. Everytime I try to open the mover dialog box from the pattern pallete, Painter crashes. When I try to defne, capture, or add an image, no dialog box opens. I went through the suggestion that was posted here and was able to successfully add an image to the image portfolio, but cannot do the same with patterns because it won't even let me open a dialog box.

I have tried reinstalling Painter and have downloaded and installed all the upgrades but still no luck.

I wish someone could figure out what is going on.
    IP

Hi folks,

Reading through this thread again today, I realize that what I said earlier must have been based on my Painter X experience before installing the Painter X.1 Update.

I can't for the life of me make the Capture Pattern command open a dialog to save the Pattern or make the Patterns palette command, Add Image to Library work.

The only solution I've found is to create the Pattern by opening a new Canvas, using the Patterns palette command, Define Pattern, then saving the file in RIFF format and going to Painter IX.5 to add the Pattern to the Patterns library.

It definitely looks like a bug as I've tried everything I can think of and tried it all several times, in several Painter sessions spread over the time since the Painter X.1 Update was installed.

Guess we'll just have to wait for Corel to fix it.

I'd suggest that anyone having this problem write directly to the Corel Painter Development team at:

painterteam@corel.com

Cheers!
    Jinny Brown
    IP

Thanks Jinny. Here's the workaround I found:

THE ISSUE:

I can't capture patterns. Using Pattern Mover crashes Painter X.

THE SOLUTION:

In a nutshell, do everything pattern related only if you have the default library open.

To capture a pattern:
    1. Go to the patterns palette, and Load Default Library (an option on the same menu as Capture Pattern)
    2. With the default library open, create the pattern you want
    3. With the default library open, open the Pattern Mover and move the new pattern to your custom library
    4. Now open your custom library.

It's annoying that you have to do this, but this works every time for me and I've seeing all the issues people have here.

Stuff I make using Painter

Quote Originally Posted by Jinny Brown View Post
    Hi,

Though I'm not able to drag a Layer into the default Painter X Image Portfolio (like several others who have the same problem), I am able to capture a Pattern and save it to the default Painter X Patterns library.

The tutorial below is not specifically for Patterns libraries, but you might be able to apply the principles to your situation.

A few people in the Corel Painter X newsgroup and in one of the Corel Painter the Official Magazine forums have been talking about a problem dragging image Layers into the Image Portfolio to save the Layers.

The person who asked about this in the Corel Painter Magazine forum happens to also be the person who found the solution.

Since she didn't elaborate and a lot of new users might not understand how to work the solution, I whipped up a tutorial this afternoon and posted it in one of the Corel Painter Magazine forums.

Though I wrote it for people having this problem in Painter X, the tutorial works in earlier versions as well.

If you're not using Painter X, you probably won't have the problem but the tutorial includes instructions for creating a new custom Image Portfolio. That you might want to do one day if you don't already save Layers there for future use.

Maybe a few people here will find it useful, too.

Corel Painter the Official Magazine

Forum Name: Hot tips/ A problem shared

Thread Name: Adding images to image portfolio....

Cheers!
    IP

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your workaround. Hopefully, it will work for some Painter X users.

I'm using WinXP Home SP2 and Painter X.1.

Every time I try to open the Pattern Mover, Painter X.1 crashes, no matter which Patterns library I have loaded. It's been that way since I installed the Painter X.1 Update. Don't recall now if it behaved this way with Painter X.

Happy Holidays!

Jin
    Jinny Brown
    IP