Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Switching over from Paintshop pro9 to PainterX...

Hi guys, hope you can help.
    I've been using Paint shop pro for years, decided to try out PainterX.

This isn't a compare and contrast post but i've noticed something different that's bugging me and didn't know if there was a fix.
    In painter when i'm viewing my image (eg landscape sketch scanned in at say 300dpi) and viewing it at 100% the quality is great but i'm looking at a massive blown up part of it (clearly).
    When I then 'scroll the image down' it so it's at say 30% and i can see the whole thing on my monitor (17 inch) the image becomes pixilated and a bit 'scraggy'. So if i make any changes to the image, like chalk in a load of sky, add some wash to some trees etc and need to scroll back and see the whole image, i can't really tell if the changes really work as, like i said, the image looks as bit scraggy.
    Unless I reduce the size of the image resolution, check it's ok then undo, or scroll across the whole image when it's blown up at 100% or even open it up in psp9 and check it.

Compare that to paintshop pro9 when i can work on the same image whilst it's at 100% 40% etc and can see everything clear as a whistle. (but with out the amazing painter brushes available, why i want the switch over)

Didn't know if i have my painter settings set to something or if there was a way you 'regular users' dealt with it. Hope this makes sense. Cheers!
    IP

Default Re: Switching over from Paintshop pro9 to PainterX...

Hi ragtagscot,

That's a known problem with Painter and the best I can offer (or anyone can as far as I know) is to do the following:

In Painter X > Preferences > General (Mac) or Edit > Preferences > General (Windows), in the lower left corner of the dialog box, check Draw zoomed-out views using area-averaging. Then, above that section, set Magnifier Increment to 25%.

This won't entirely eliminate the problem but it helps, and with Magnifer Increment set to 25%, if you start with a zoom percent divisible by 25 (i.e. 50%, 75%, 100%, 125%, 200%, 350%, etc.), you'll get the best zoomed-out display available.

If you're currently at an odd percent that's not divisible by 25, like 30%, 63%, 179%, 241%, etc., first double-click the Magnifier tool to zoom to 100%, then hold down the Alt/Option tool and click in the image to zoom out to the desired zoom percent.

It's annoying at first but you'll get used to it after a while and it won't be so bothersome.

Good luck, and enjoy those Painter X brushes!
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

ragtagscot

the clarity of psp9 when zooming out is exceptional I think. It was the feature that sold it for me when I worked more or less exclusively with bitmaps.

Jinny

Good tip thanks
    Bit like photoshop then in that respect - increments of 25% working best.

Guess we can't have it both ways
    I put up with a lot for those painter brushes
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

That's brilliant, thanks, Jinny!
    Massive thanks for helping out with this.
    Just set it up as you suggested and it's working much clearer now.
    Like you say, it's just a case of getting used to the process but that shouldn't be to big a problem. Top work!
    IP

hand drawn:
    You're spot on about the zoom clarity in psp9, it's class.
    Just couldn't resist having a go with those painter brushes! Should be able to see what i'm doing a bit clearer now. Thanks again, folks!
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ragtagscot View Post
    That's brilliant, thanks, Jinny!
    Massive thanks for helping out with this.
    Just set it up as you suggested and it's working much clearer now.
    Like you say, it's just a case of getting used to the process but that shouldn't be to big a problem. Top work!
    Hi,

Glad to hear it helped!

Thanks for letting us know. I'm so used to the pixelation thing that it doesn't bother me but I can understand it's a pain for others who are used to seeing a better zoomed out view.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP