Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Getting there... just need a little help

Okay... I have Xara Pro and 3D and I've managed to create a logo to spin in 3D. BUT, I'm really struggling with the first part... actually creating the text I want to then import in 3D.
    So far, the text was just created in the 3D programme, not Xara Pro.
    If you look at the example, the font is the correct style that I want, but I want the www.insert .com part to be a steely silver. I want the X to be a steely bright red. As. you can see by my attatchment, I haven't been able to do that (oh, and the spinning circle was just for fun - not going to use it)
    It literally takes me hours to work out little things, and I've searched and tried a few tutorials but I'm still at a loss.
    I'm guessing you create the text in another programme, 'somehow' clear cut it with a path (so there is no background) and then save it in the correct format before opening it in Xara3D.
    Could someone please explain in step by step detail how to achieve this (I'm a complete novice so try not to lose me). Or point me to a tutorial which is really, really easy to understand. I mean, I'm struggling just to create the text lol.
    Thanks you
    Greg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by KiwiEditor; 17 April 2007 at 12:43 PM.

Default Re: Getting there... just need a little help

You should create your text in Xara3D and not another program.

Select the font you want to use in the Text Options window.

After you have the font and the text you want return to the main work area. Enable the cursor by clicking the button on the tool bar (top of work area) that has the letters a and b on it. Use the keyboard cursor keys to move the cursor. Hold down a shift key and move the cursor to select a single letter. Use the Color Options to apply a colour to that letter or selected letters.

You will probably have to use a Texture on the text to achieve the 'steely' look you mention.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thank you so much... will give that a go!
    cheers

Thought I'd have a quick go at it. Hope you don't mind. The thing you have to remember is that the lights have color too so when you are in color options menu (there is a pull down menu in there to change colors for other things) don't forget to have a look at those too.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very well done DAL! The colours for text and lights work very well to create the illusion of metal.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Bill. I've had 3D a long time now so I'm al little more familiar with it. The colors in the lighting I think is sometimes over looked because people expect all light to be white and don't realize it can be changed in the program. In my view it helps a lot to get the look one might want.
    Last edited by DAL; 18 April 2007 at 08:30 PM.