Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Defaulting "Area to Save" to "Page"

Hello!

Is there any way to default the "Area to Save" option on the export menu, to "Page"? This is nothing crucial, but it would save me some time, because I select that hundreds of times. If I could pre-define "Page", I would be even more happy

Thank you!

Default Re: Defaulting "Area to Save" to "Page"

Ive been thinking this forever but never said it. Ditto.

A sticky option would be the best solution, since there are some people who need to default to page and others (like me) to selection.

I searched the registry and cannot find an option for the Area to Save.

Not all options may exist in the registry as a simple on or off. Some have to be manually entered, but only the developers know if that is possible.

Hopefully GerryI or PhilM or Charles will see this and let us know if it is available in the current release.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

PS- I can understand that if the user selects a selection of objects before export, that it would automatically default to that, not page. But if there is nothing selected, I would assume a default to page... Maybe it's just my brain... Or, yes, sticky would solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallis View Post
    ...if the user selects a selection of objects before export, that it would automatically default to that, not page
    That makes sense, although I do have concern about software that guesses what I want since the guesses are frequently wrong.

I usually find that setting an explicit default that I can a) override on the fly, and b) easily change, is a better solution.

I never select any objects, but by default Xara always select "Drawing".
    Let us hope next release will allow us default our choice

5.5 years later...wishing I could default "area to save" as "page".

Is it possible?

I'm confused. Do you want to Save the page or do you want to Export the page as, say a JPEG image?

When you save the page (File > Save, or File > Save As...) Xara saves everything that is on the page or off the page on the clipboard.

But if you want to export the page as a JPEG, PDF, etc., then you need to specify which objects you want to save. Though it seems to me that if I have a page with some object on the page, and I have somethings off the page, that with nothing selected, Xara included everything in an exported JPEG. Yes, I just tried this in Designer Pro 7 and it does what I thought it would do.

In the attached image, the large black image with the 70 is on the page, my palette of named colors is off the page top left and the pink panel is off the page to the left.

What am I missing here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my page.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	92881  

This is something I'd like too. I'll try to explain it a little more clearly. Walk with me. I'm using XPGD 11.

1. Select File > Export... (Shift+Ctrl+E)
    2. Choose PNG (many other formats work the same way, but let's be specific) and specify a filename and click Export
    3. Click the Bitmap Size tab and look at the "Area To Save" options

If I have nothing selected, it defaults to "Page content"
    If I have something selected, it defaults to "Selection"
    It never defaults to "Page"

I wish it would sometimes default to "Page" or that I could force it to. For many projects, I need to make many exports that are all the full size of the page. For example, when I'm creating graphics for video, I often need all my exports to measure 1280x720 or 1920x1080, HD video dimensions.

There are sometimes workarounds. Sometimes I can create a transparent rectangle the same size as the page and just hit ctrl+A before I export, and then the default "Selection" is effectively the same as the page. Sometimes, however, I have items stored off-page, and this method won't work.

It would be very convenient to be able to make "Page" a sticky option. Alternatively, if the export dialog would just remember the setting from one export to the next, I'd only have to set it once per session. The export dialog already remembers color depth and some other settings, but not "Area to Save."