Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to Make Rectangle with Top Two Corners Rounded

I have Designer Photo & Graphics 11. How do I make the top 2 Corners of a rectangle rounded? I know how to make a rectangle, but I want to have round the top 2 corners, while leaving the bottom 2 sqare.

Default Re: How to Make Rectangle with Top Two Corners Rounded

Quote Originally Posted by kdh38 View Post
    I have Designer Photo & Graphics 11. How do I make the top 2 Corners of a rectangle rounded? I know how to make a rectangle, but I want to have round the top 2 corners, while leaving the bottom 2 sqare.
    Use the Rectangle Tool and make your shape. Select Curved corners.
    Draw a straight horizontal line through the rectangle above the bottom curved corners.
    Select both and right-click Combine Shapes > Slice Shapes. Delete the bottom part.

There are other ways that I'll leave to other TGers.
    I use one that is easier to do but harder to describe that turns a rectangle into an editable shape.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Use the Rectangle Tool and make your shape. Select Curved corners.
    Draw a straight horizontal line through the rectangle above the bottom curved corners.
    Select both and right-click Combine Shapes > Slice Shapes. Delete the bottom part.

There are other ways that I'll leave to other TGers.
    I use one that is easier to do but harder to describe that turns a rectangle into an editable shape.

Acorn
    Thank you for the help. I will give that a shot. I was messing with a trial of photoshop CC and they had it simple to choose individually the roundness of every corner. I wish xara was like that. But of course i like my xara and photoshop is not vector so xara it is. TY again for the help

If I didn't misunderstand the "What's new in WebDesigner 365" then it should provide a smart shape where the corners can be modified indiviually.

Quote Originally Posted by kdh38 View Post
    Thank you for the help. I will give that a shot. I was messing with a trial of photoshop CC and they had it simple to choose individually the roundness of every corner. I wish xara was like that. But of course i like my xara and photoshop is not vector so xara it is. TY again for the help
    So my second approach is to place a smaller shape inside the curved box and Add Shapes. This converts a rectangle to a Shape. You can now use the Shape Tool to delete the bottom two control points.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Another way.

Curved rectangle.
    Clone.
    Change clone to square corners.
    Redcue its height.
    Line up both and and Add Shapes.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by siran View Post
    If I didn't misunderstand the "What's new in WebDesigner 365" then it should provide a smart shape where the corners can be modified indiviually.
    You're right, there is a new Shape called 'Variable Corners'. Unfortunately you can't set a 'Primary curvature ratio' as with the rectangle tool, but the grid, guidelines or other measuring stick, like a square, can be used to ensure consistency (I suppose!).
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    You're right, there is a new Shape called 'Variable Corners'. Unfortunately you can't set a 'Primary curvature ratio' as with the rectangle tool, but the grid, guidelines or other measuring stick, like a square, can be used to ensure consistency (I suppose!).
    In replying, you have to work with the OP's product not tease with a Smart Shape in an upgraded and different product.

In XDPX11, there is also a Convert to shape option but that does not help the question progress,
    Acorn

My apologies.
    Just thought it might be helpful because the OP asked when an update of DPX will be available in another thread and just referred to the words 'I wish xara was like that'...

Quote Originally Posted by siran View Post
    My apologies.
    Just thought it might be helpful because the OP asked when an update of DPX will be available in another thread and just referred to the words 'I wish xara was like that'...
    siran, I'm sorry for my terseness. i have used Smart Shapes and other methods but I was wanting to focus on the OP poser and promote others to explore the wide range of approaches (and report them) so we don't stifle creativity in the use of our Xara applications. I'd hate someone to jump to Adobe CC or pay more when most of the features are there already needing a bit of thought, mostly lateral.

Acorn