Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to print Picture

How to print a picture from photoshop cs to a desired size, just like example 2272 x 1170 pxls to a 4" x 6" size of paper... I ve tried but the picture shrink into distortion which is changed from its size? How do I deal with this one?
    IP

Default Re: How to print Picture

Quote Originally Posted by eilohn View Post
    How to print a picture from photoshop cs to a desired size, just like example 2272 x 1170 pxls to a 4" x 6" size of paper... I ve tried but the picture shrink into distortion which is changed from its size? How do I deal with this one?
    you set the crop tool to 4inch by 6inch then crop to that size and then print,and if you save this with a new name your original image is safe.
    IP

I don't have photoshop CS, but an earlier version.
    Is the problem that photoshop is automatically resizing your picture to fit the paper size? - if so, you should try resizing the image first.

When resizing you should check the dpi value - if it is any less than 150 it should be changed - somewhere between 150-300 is usual - then change the size value to the size you wish to print at - this must be the size of the printable area, which will probably be a bit less than the paper size.
    Press ok - your image is re sized.
    Save as new file name, as RTW1 suggests.
    This way you do not need to crop, but if you still get poor results, then either there is too much detail in the original or it was not of suitable quality in the first place.
    Last edited by handrawn; 14 April 2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: clarify dpi
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Inkjet prints look just fine when printed at 180dpi and above. 300dpi or more is usually required for mags etc.
    The crop tool is just a handy way to re-size without getting involved in mathematics. You can also set the resolution per inch on the info bar at the same time as the size, then your image will be up or down sized accordingly.
    Do not worry to much about re-sizing, try a print if it looks good, it is good. After all any file sent to the printer is interpolated by the printer driver. Hard and fast rules do not count, it is results that matter.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
    Inkjet prints look just fine when printed at 180dpi and above. 300dpi or more is usually required for mags etc

? thats a generalization!

The crop tool is just a handy way to re-size
    Crop tools don't resize, they extract a selected part, - you loose the rest.

Hard and fast rules do not count, it is results that matter.
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

If an image is say 2by3 [12x8 inch] ratio as are most digital SLRs and you want say a 4by5 [10by8] ratio print, it is possible to distort that image to the new ratio and keep all the pixel information but no one wants distorted images, so the crop tool comes into play or software that masks the image to the new size.
    By using the info bar on the crop tool you can re-size , just because you are using the crop tool you can still select the whole image area if the ratios are the same. For example 2by3 ratio can be a 2by3 inch print or a 6by9inch, 8by12inch, 10by15inch, or other sizes, just enter the size you want in the crop options, this feature has been available from Photoshop 4 onwards.
    http://www.tipsfromthetopfloor.com/psc/psc05.php
    IP

RTW1

No argument with that.
    Just me looking at it the wrong way round I think
    doh
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    RTW1

No argument with that.
    Just me looking at it the wrong way round I think
    doh
    Hi, Handrawn, I was not wanting to give the impression that I was in an argument with you as I have seen by your many posts that you are only to happy to help. I think it is all to easy for Photoshop user like our self’s to make simple tasks more complex because we often know the pro power way of doing some thing that new users find hard to get their heads round, in short I read the question take a guess at their ability and if I know the answer I try and go for as simple solution as possible.
    A thousand apologies if I have offended.
    Last edited by RTW1; 15 April 2007 at 12:13 PM.
    IP

Hi, Handrawn, I was not wanting to give the impression that I was in an argument with you .

No worries - all I meant by 'no argument' was that I agree, sometimes I express things a bit formally what with having the proper education an' all [ ].
    Also I'd taken cropping to re-shape as read so I'd mis-understood, I think, some of what you were saying. Reshape and resize mean different things to me.
    So sorry for that
    No offense, none at all
    Last edited by handrawn; 15 April 2007 at 01:30 PM.
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP