Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Fading Edges to Transparency?

How do I fade a selection to gradual transparency? I don't mean the standard fade where you fade all sides, but if I want to fade out one side or just in general. Seems like it would be a gradient mask or something maybe?

I have a good grasp on Photoshop but seem to be missing over this and would be a very useful.

Thanks!
    Last edited by TommyHawk; 06 April 2007 at 10:25 AM.
    IP

Default Re: Fading Edges to Transparency?

Hi TommyHawk
    Yes, create a layer mask (Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal All (or Hide All)) and then gradient fill it.
    Or select a portion of the mask > fill it with solid color > gaussian blur the mask.
    IP

Default Re: Fading Edges to Transparency?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyHawk View Post
    How do I fade a selection to gradual transparency? I don't mean the standard fade where you fade all sides, but if I want to fade out one side or just in general. Seems like it would be a gradient mask or something maybe?

I have a good grasp on Photoshop but seem to be missing over this and would be a very useful.

Thanks!
    quick mask is very good to use as you can blur just one part of the quick mask if you make a selection on the quick mask first and have the rest with sharp edges.
    IP