Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Free Domain and Free Domain Name?

Is there such a thing as a provider of a free domain and free domain name? Extremely tight budget right now.
    ron

Default Re: Free Domain and Free Domain Name?

You might try Yahoo, I read somewhere they were giving free domain names, I don't know the hitch though. Probably lots of advertisements on your website.

There is only ONE truly free provider.... no ads, no nothing. It is, in some respects a pain in the behind, but, it works....
    AwardSpace

I have a site there where i post demos for clients (when i am lucky enough to get one). has all the essential goodies (php etc).

geo.

Ron just type free domains in google there are hundreds of 'em out there

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I'd stay away from them. "Free" offers usually sneak up and bite you. Be weary they could be set up to bait and switch.

much depends on what bandwidth you want.
    these arn't free, but they are inexpensive, and like Ross I'd be wary of the 'free' ones.
    I give them as examples which I have used without problems in the past, but I don't give any endorsement - there are lots around, or at least there were the last time I needed to look.

http://compila.com/
    http://www.123-reg.co.uk/
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ron,

There's nothing that is "free"... There's always a twist...

If your site really takes off - and really gets traffic - you will be encouraged to look into other solutions... These "for now" free sites, might also run very slowly... or start doing so... Down-time is also a killer...

Never - EVER - allow your host to register your domain name for you... Do it yourself with your chosen domain registar. If you current host is horrible - you can simply move the site to another one, and point the domain name there. If your host registered the domain name for you - it will cost you an arm and a leg to "buy" it back (pay for the "administration fees" to move the domain name to your control).

Your best bet is to find a cheap plan.

Ron, I might also have another option if it really has to be 100% free (not sure if I have the time for it yet) - PM me, and we'll talk. Yes, it would be FREE for you and a few other... BUT there's one LITTLE twist... BUT ALSO a few HUUUGE benefits. It all depends what you need the hosting for...

Risto

Risto is right

downtime and speed are important

His advice about domain names is good too.
    When I moved on to 'better' things I did not have problems - the hosting companies promised free transfer, and it was ok [took 48hours to switch].
    Others are not so lucky.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I would have to agree with Risto. there is no such thing as a free lunch. You can find hosts and registrars pretty cheap these days. and it might be a lot cheaper than you think. I do my domain registration with Network solutions which is a little more expensive but I have no problems with them. And my host has some very cheap prices , you can check out hostgator.com
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

there may be no free lunches but there are lots of worthwhile free things on the net. Software, reference material and yes... an good free host as mentioned above.

I can understand the reservations, but I am not an idiot. i did considerable research on the matter. Awardspace has some weird notions, but you can get 200 mg of free space, php/Perl/MySQL FTP POP3/Imap and so on and so forth. It works. I use it.

geo.