Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Load Order

Default Load Order

Is there a way to get the images on a web page to load before the webstyle nav button images? I have background images on my tables (very small - 2kb), but they don't load until the entire nav menu loads. I'd like the background images to load and display in the browser, then the nav buttons.

Possible?

Thanks very much.

(sorry about my user name - I got tired of trying to find a name that wasn't already used )

Default Re: Load Order

Hi zzzzzzzzzxab,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

Can you post a link to a page you want to change the load order?

There isn't anything in Webstyle that can change the load order, but possibly some changes in the html code may help.

Is the Navbar located within the table or is it outside the table. Tables do not display until all the table's code is received. If the Navbar is outside the html tags for the table, it will always display before the table.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Bill-
    Thanks for the quick reply. As you'll come to see, I'm pretty new to this. What I can tell is that when I remove the Webstyle nav menu, the page table backgrounds load instantly, but when I have the menu in there, there's a slight delay that causes the dark text to show on the dark background before the background images load. It's only seconds in high speed (probably close to a minute in dialup), but it would be nice if I could get the table to display first. Here's what I mean:

http://www.sectioniiiwrestling.com/index_work.htm

I know that it's a graphic-intensive page and I'm sure there are plenty of design flaws that could also be the culprit. Anything that you could suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Update: This also appears to be browser related, as Firefox loads the page faster than I can see it and IE doesn't. Is there some kind of IE optimization setting in Webstyle 4?

Thanks again.
    John
    Last edited by zzzzzzzzzxab; 04 April 2007 at 08:27 PM.

Hi John,

To answer you question about optimizations. There isn't any optimizations for html or any browser within Webstyle. It is a design program for graphics elements that can be added to html pages.

Looking at the source code for your page, you have multiple tables being loaded by the html code. The first table contains the javascript that loads, displays the navbar and controls the mouse over, etc.

I don't know of a way to have the other tables with their graphics load before that first table containing the navbar.

I may be totally off with assuming you are wanting the other tables to load before the navbar. If that is the case, please let me know.

There are other members that are far more knowledgable about web design than I. One of them may know of a way to use CSS or other technique that will work.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi John. I've used Javascript to make that happen. I don't have my code, but here's a link that might help: http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/javascript/script3.htm

It's not to complicated, but you may have to tweak things a bit.

Best of luck!

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Something else you may want to try.

Create a CSS class using absolute positioning that will place a box in the position of the current row containing your menu.

In the row you defined that holds the menu javascript, cut the menu javascript out. Leave the row but just put in some background color or something just so the "box" is still there.

Then after the rest of your tables, put in a <p> block using the class you created and paste in your javascript information.

I don’t know if this will work as I don’t use tables, but it seems like it might. You may have to play around a bit with the CSS. Also check it out in a few browsers to make sure it looks OK.

Regarding your statement about your page loading differently in different browsers, each browser interprets the html code differently. “Standards” as of today are not followed by the browser makers. This is just something we have to learn to live with.

Good luck.

P.S. Please let us know if either or both of these methods work for you. I have been studying how browsers actually work and they all use algorithms to interpret and display web pages. Unfortunately, the algorithms are all slightly different. So what may work on one browser, may not work the same way on another.
    Last edited by jyoung; 06 April 2007 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Additional comment
    Joe