Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: Feature Request: LivePaint / Paint Bucket tool

One of these days, InkScape is going to be a brilliant tool... as good as or better than commercialware. My only serious complaint is the slow rendering, but that is only because I use Xara which sets the standard, though this IS a matter addressed in InkScape's latest release... impressive improvements expected.

I worry that now Xara will need to compete with other packages on a larger scale and that many of the best features will be neglected as the corporate 'be all things to all people' mentality bleeds the core functions. but... i digress.

As for tools, user definable, nested galleries/toolboxes is the solution i would want.

geo.
    Last edited by GeoBen; 04 April 2007 at 07:25 PM.

Remi, this is indeed a very cool feature. Let's hope Xara LTD is at least looking at your post.

It wouldn´t be better if the tool was vector based instead of pixel based?
    The inkscape description states that the selected area is based on an image rendering of the current work that is then traced by potrace. Why not use boolean operations instead to determine the selected area? It would be much more precise clean and sharp. (althought in the inkscape case the tracing engine is absolutely great)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel B. View Post
    It wouldn´t be better if the tool was vector based instead of pixel based?
    The inkscape description states that the selected area is based on an image rendering of the current work that is then traced by potrace. Why not use boolean operations instead to determine the selected area? It would be much more precise clean and sharp. (althought in the inkscape case the tracing engine is absolutely great)
    Hi Miguel,

I think, working with vectors is the technique of Adobe Illustrator's LivePaint tool. But the approach of the Inkscape team is much more flexible, because of the following reasons:
    1. It sounds to me, that Inkscape's planned "Paint Bucket tool" is able to handle (simple or more complex) vector objects and also (scanned or imported) bitmaps to find pixels of similiar values.
      Instead of searching only for vector objects, the tool does a fast render of the nearest area and uses well known bitmap-based algorithms for the further search for bounds.
      The problem is, that the colours of the underlying pixels are more important for selecting areas, instead of the real coordinates of the underlying shapes. The vector shapes in your Xara Xtreme drawing could be simple shapes but with complex fills/transparencies, so that the approach to following only the vector form isn't flexible enough.
    2. A lot of users knows the tools of bitmap editors, but don't know much about vector tools. From time to time we all see questions from beginners here, who asks for a "Magic Wand Tool" within Xara Xtreme. OK, we all are able to explain the differences between bitmap editors and vector editors and why there is nothing like a "Magic Wand Tool" in a vector graphics editor. But if we think about it, we have to accept the fact, that the "bitmap way" (using a simple tool to find similar pixels and places a selection around) is more intuitive than the "vector way" (creating new shapes by hand over a imported bitmap).
    3. This tool offers an easy way to trace a bitmap "by hand". All these approachs with monolithic Bitmap tracers are not satisfying in my eyes. Yes, we can study all the possibilites of Xara Xtreme's Bitmap Tracer or Potrace or Illustrator's LiveTrace, but in the end, the results are often shapes with too much point handles. We all know the pain, to work with these terrible shapes.
      On the one hand, it seems that's not possible to develop a really clever Bitmap Tracer (who would trace images the way, we are able to do by hand), but then this doesn't mean, that's not possible to develop a clever "Bitmap Tracing Assistant Tool". These "Paint Bucket tool" is one step in the right direction: Tracing a bitmap step by step together with little instructions by the user. With such a tool we should be able to trace a scanned or imported bitmap within a minute or two.

Remi
    Last edited by remi; 05 April 2007 at 01:22 AM.

Remi

I am eagerly awaiting the inkscape 0.46 release.
    I totally agree with rpc9943, it will make cartooning a lot easier - in fact, for my normal cartoon work purposes it may [sadly] cut xara out of the loop altogether, but it depends on how well it is implemented.

I can see a senario whereby my black pencil drawings are scanned in to photoshop [which removes red[blue] layout pencil by splitting channels]

then inkscape vectors them [which 'inks' them too]
    AND then colors them
    Job done.

And as getting vectors from xara to inkscape can be a pain - what original vector drawing I have to do for these jobs will quite likely be done in inkscape also.

Not just for cartoons either thinking about it.....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I use Live Paint tools in AI fairly fequently and like the PS style colour fill proposed by inkscape but like other people have mentioned it would be better if the fill would be vector and not bitmapped. Yes this would be a good tool to used in Xara but my request would be for a vector style fill as in AI.

Everyone are making requests at the moment for better and different tools at the moment. My simple request would be to ask the Xara removes all the small bugs that have been reported for years and to sort out the programme that we have got especially in the brushes area. I have no interest on how the brushes are rendered and how it is technically done I just wish that I had brushes in Xara as I have in AI.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post

Everyone are making requests at the moment for better and different tools at the moment. My simple request would be to ask the Xara removes all the small bugs that have been reported for years and to sort out the programme that we have got especially in the brushes area. I have no interest on how the brushes are rendered and how it is technically done I just wish that I had brushes in Xara as I have in AI.
    That makes a lot of sense to me. I think Albacore makes a very good point here.
    I would like a feature such as live paint in xara all else being equal, but to be honest, since I have other programs that do this well - with the addition of the proposed inkscape release, its not actually necessary - getting the bugs and the brushes, especially the brushes, sorted out in xara is a definitely a higher priority.
    Nothing lasts forever...

Albacore, I'm with you. The world doesn't stop, software is evolving, new tools are created every day. I think before Xara implements new features, old bugs should be fixed and then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    I use Live Paint tools in AI fairly fequently and like the PS style colour fill proposed by inkscape but like other people have mentioned it would be better if the fill would be vector and not bitmapped. Yes this would be a good tool to used in Xara but my request would be for a vector style fill as in AI.

I agree with you.
    I am just trying out Xara Designer Pro 6, and I am very disapointed it does not seem to have a live paint bucket tool as in Illustrator, nor a Smartfill tool as in CorelDraw.
    That is how I color images all the time.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Remi

Iin fact, for my normal cartoon work purposes it may [sadly] cut xara out of the loop altogether, but it depends on how well it is implemented.
    Yes but only for cartooning - which in my case means handrawn [ ] and scanned - and then simply needing to be colored/lettered/madeup/tweaked
    And similar such scan based work.
    Not for from scratch vector drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I would like a feature such as live paint in xara all else being equal, but to be honest, since I have other programs that do this well
    Specifically Toon Boom studio. This is a cartoon animators tool and too expensive to buy simply to color static cartoons, but it does that job very well.
    it vector fills - it closes gaps even large ones automatically without needing to draw lines [resists temptation to ask for this in xara ] - it allows independent control of individual color transparency within object - I could go on, but.

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    Before all users think, Inkscape would be already an equivalent replacement for Xara Xtreme,
    Remi - I take your point
    actually I rarely if ever think in terms of one program replacing another full stop [ridiculous idea, and a hostage to fortune] - I think in terms of maybe one program replacing another for a specific/project task[s].

Heck I've gone on a bit too - just one last thing - please please please xara get the brushes sorted out...
    Nothing lasts forever...