Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

FrontPage adding Menu

I have tried several dozen different ways to add a dropdown menu. When I view the menu on the page in my local directory, it works fine. I upload it to my site, all in the same folder. In the "normal" view it looks great. THEN I try to view the "preview" and it's not working. I get a script error. So, I tired to go ahead and view the page in IE... nothing even shows up at all. There is nothign on the Xara site that even gives a remote hint as to what to do.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!

Default Re: FrontPage adding Menu

When you make a Web in Frontpage, that is your main folder.

For Instance

My Web
    My Graphics
    My Text
    My Menu Maker Graphics

This will work.

If you have this:

My Web outside of My Web - My Menu Maker Graphics
    My Graphics
    My Text

This second instance won't work, because Front Page cannot see to publish your MyWeb contents because My Menu Maker Graphics is not in MyWeb.

The same reason for it not displaying in Preview. Preview works in a similar way that Publish does. That is, it must be in the same folder path as MyWeb.

If you inadvertently change the path out of MyWeb using Menu Maker or WebStyle, then it won't work.
    Last edited by jamesmc; 03 April 2007 at 11:07 PM.

Default Re: FrontPage adding Menu Maker

I am a complete newbie here and am hoping to get some fedback regarding making a menu in Xara4 menu maker.

I have actually managed to do this twice, but I cannot replicate this.

Is it best to have a site all by itself, as I have several with a folder 'My Sites' I found that the menu maker was actually saving the js files in another of my webs and not the one I asked it to make a web in.

Your advice would help please as I feel quite exhausted - I shan't say how long and how often I have tried to make this and save it in FP 2003

Thanks for help.

Most likely when you made your new Web site, you inadvertently put the address for your new website folder in Menu Maker.

I always have to edit the xxx.js file and remove all occurences of the text "loc+". It is related to default directory conflicts since I store all the MM file in a separate folder.

Hope this helps

I asked this question in the webstyle forum but I think this may have been the wrong place. I'm having problems with a menu which I have on a dynamic web template. My xara webstyle 4 menu nav bar shows on the template on the web and I can pull all the pages up. This does not translate to the pages that are linked to the template. The bar will not show up in fp in design view (showing only as a red cross in a white bo) and not at all in preview as it says that there is a script error. Equally the bar does not show at all on the web. Does anyone have any idea why this might be.

Thanks
    Lorraine

I have a similar problem except my problem is that it will display in FP2003 on the design page and not on the Preview page or from any browser. I have tried about every trick I know of to include the fix that is posted on Xara.com. I have tried putting the graphics in the / directory and the /_borders directory and also in a /menu directory and nothing works for me. I have yet to post it on line as it serves no purpose. The web site that I want it to work in is www.dbara.org which is builts in FP2003.

Any help in the form of guidance is appreciated as right now MM is just a coaster in my eyes at the moment.